Conditions for Mt. Toll and Audubon

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OnyourLeft
Trip Reports (1)

Conditions for Mt. Toll and Audubon

Post by OnyourLeft »

Anyone know what the conditions are for these guys? I was thinking of doing a loop from Lake Isabel to Pawnee Pass to Toll and then either drop down to Blue Lake or go over to Audubon and circle back to the TH.

As of last weekend there was some snow up to Lake Isabel and I turned around before I got all the way up to Pawnee Pass but it wasn't that bad.

Also, what is the skill level involved with this route? Thanks in advance.
Magnum420
14ers: 23  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Conditions for Mt. Toll and Audubon

Post by Magnum420 »

Did Audobon from Lake Mitchel last weekend. Some snow drifts in the woods below treeling but everything was pretty firm(afternoon). There were a couple of small snow drifts above timberline but nothing major. The worst part was the amount of water on the trail. A good portion of the trail above treeline was more like a stream than a trail. I cant speak for the rest of your planned hike though.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---
viejo
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Conditions for Mt. Toll and Audubon

Post by viejo »

Since you were in the area last weekend, you've got a good idea of the snow in the trees.

Audobon above treeline is pretty well free of snow. Likewise, the ridge walk from Pawnee to Toll can be done essentially snow free. The descent down to Blue Lakes from Toll will likely be a glissade. Several people were skiing it last Saturday.

The walk from Toll to Audobon can get pretty tricky if you try to descend the north side towards Paiute. There's no real marked route, and most of the north side is class 3/4 or higher. Otherwise you'd need to drop down the east side and traverse over from there to the saddle between Toll and Paiute. That'll likely be a snow traverse.

Hope that helps...