Weminuche - Rio Grande Pyramid route

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RockyRoad
14ers: 13 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Weminuche - Rio Grande Pyramid route

Post by RockyRoad »

I am planning a trip to the Weminuche WIlderness in about a month with a group of friends. I have not been backpacking down there before, but my group members have been to the area already. They always go to The Window when they are in the area... Looking at their photos, this looks like a very unique place.

Then I noticed a tall peak standing very close to the Window, and I have become very intrigued... After looking it up online, I found that this is the Rio Grande Pyramid, and it stands at about 13,800 ft.

Anyway, I am hoping to convince my group members to climb this peak with me, but I wanted to get some feedback on the best/easiest routes up. What route should I take with someone who is less physically fit than myself? What kind of elevation grade would you give the route? I could not find this information, so I was hoping I could hear some experiences on this climb.

Ideally, I would like to climb both the Window and Rio Grande Pyramid in the same day... What are your experiences on routes up & difficulty?

Thanks so much!
"Great things are done when men and mountains meet." -William Blake
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Weminuche - Rio Grande Pyramid route

Post by Kiefer »

The East Ridge is straight-forward and tends to be a mix of talus, scree and tundra. It's prolly the easiest way up at class-2+, maybe class-3. The South Couloir is a loose talus gully prone to rockfall but not that steep. I'd rate it class-3. We were down there a couple-few years back and ascended the East Ridge and descended the South Couloir. It's pretty easy all around and has killer views from the summit.

Hiked up to The Window and played around there for a little while but never scrambled up to "Window Peak" (ran out of daylight). It looked pretty easy though, prolly no more then class-2+, maybe 3.
We camped at Weminuche Pass and from there, it was a long day. The peak is still a good distance away but it's a great area and solitude is guaranteed. Water is hard to come by. Bring plenty. There's a tarn at the base of the Window which we used to drink from on the hike out back to camp.
Summitpost Page

East Face
South Couloir *Actually left of center

Hoping to get down there again myself for a snowclimb in the next 2 weeks or so. 8)
RobertPetrowsky
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RobertPetrowsky »

Roach's 13ers book has some great info on this peak. It has pretty accurate mileage, vertical, and terrain descriptions. You should find a copy before you get there.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

There are a few trip reports on here. I posted one last year.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6502

and another:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5398
RockyRoad
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RockyRoad »

Thanks for the responses... Very much appreciated.

We are definitely going to climb the peak after talking with some other people in my group. I guess I will see when I get there, but we plan to do both The Window and Rio Grande Pyramid. Is Window Peak different than The Window???
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Sent you a pm.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
RockyRoad
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RockyRoad »

Presto wrote:Sent you a pm.
Thanks for the feedback and trip reports! I feel prepared to climb now after reading more about the area. :D
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

If you live in Lakewood near the Federal Center, Jerry Roach's books are available at Map Sales in Bldg 810. Go through Fed Center Gate 1, state your business to the guard, and proceed to Bldg 810 located off West Alameda Avenue west of the Lakewood Post Office located at the corner of Oak Street. Bldg 810 is the largest at the Fed Center with many convex-up roof structures. Map Sales is near the southwest corner of the building. Open Monday-Friday only.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.