Fall River Reservoir is a mess

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
krz2fer
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (10)

Fall River Reservoir is a mess

Post by krz2fer »

My fiance and brother headed up Rainbow Road as the night sky started to lighten today. We hiked up to the dam and beyond, with eventual success of a solid snow climb on Parry's fun snow slopes. I had a great snowboard down, too. Perfect corn!

Our way up was quiet, unaffected. What we saw once back at the lake was disappointing.

I noted last year* some disturbing stuff, trash, etc. in the area. This morning we came back down to see a group of maybe ~20 that had emerged from tents with a couple ATVs running loud and full speed ripping up and down the dam road and over into the field just below. Probably late teens or early twenties. They then eventually flew down towards the road, over tundra areas, as they appeared to be taking people back to the 6-10 car parking lot they'd created down the road. We had our dogs with us and they didn't seem to care to slow as a courtesy when flying by. (The point is, common decency was lacking and it just seemed overly disappointing.)

*http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 37#p234037

Trash is, unfortunately, everywhere. Old cans, smashed glass all near the damn and water's edge. Bullet shells—lots of 'em—are everywhere. Makeshift firepits, full of trash. Even a makeshift fire pit IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD that was not dismantled. As alluded to above, the ATV's going full blast rip up the entire area, especially during snow melt off in the spring. Mud tracks, flung about, everywhere. Where I walked, so too had the ATV's been traversed.

Is this typical in the area? Maybe Paul can shed some light? I've been up there about 4 times in the last couple years now and today, by far, seemed the worst I've seen. I wasn't sure if there were any wilderness laws or ATV rules in the area (I didn't see any signs with posted expectations). It seems like there isn't, and the reservoir area is definitely getting put through the ringer by man.

Anyway, figured I put this out there. Maybe I'm preaching to the choir, and I'm sure this problem is in more than a few spots. It's a real downer, though, to be enjoying the outdoors and realizing that others are enjoying it in a 'use it up and leave it behind' kind-of way.

Note: The ATVs were a catalyst in my thoughts here. I think they are equal problem to the trash, certain people, and other factors that are changing the way the landscape is looking up there.
Chris
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Fall River Reservoir is a mess

Post by Carl »

In my experience, guns, beers, and questionable driving are the norm during peak summer times in that area, unfortunately. Never seen anyone up there doing anything about it, which is to bad. I believe this picture I took in 2007 shows all 3.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

RichAllen wrote:Here is a story I posted a long time ago about what I did the last time I found a bunch of trash:

Here is a funny story (I think) about trash: My wife and I were hiking up to Loch Lomond on that nasty jeep road when we came across four twenty-somethings at a campsite about a half mile from the lake that was just trashed. Beer cans, donuts, wrappers...it literally looked like a landfill. They were all piling in their truck to leave and I asked "Are you going to clean that up?" They said they would, but we all knew they weren't going to. As I walked away, I made sure they saw me writing their license plate down, and continued on. On the way back, we looked, and they had simply piled some of the garbage in the fire pit, and the rest was still strewn around. We had some bags, so we picked up what we could carry. I found a Petsmart frequent shopper keyring tag and tucked it away for potential mischief later.

About a month later, I went into Petsmart with the tag and told the clerk "I have just recently moved and can't remember if I changed the address for this or not. What address do you have?" She gave me an address in the metro area. I did a drive-by, and sure enough...there was the truck. I went home, gathered all my garbage and some used cat litter (taking my identifying info off any of the garbage, of course) and left a big pile on their front porch and lawn. I also left a note on the truck, reminding them of their campsite. Sometimes **** happens, but it's better if it is arranged.
:lol: Wow, that made me laugh. Way to go!
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
flintster
14ers: 45 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flintster »

You can thank Clear Creek County for how they have treated that area (Loch Lomond, Fall River, etc.) over the years...

http://www.co.clear-creek.co.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

This is typical behavior, unfortunately, for about 50% of the "campers" that frequent our area. I have removed tons of trash,dog poop, bullet casings, broken glass, etc. from all over our area. Sounds like I need to double my efforts after this weekend. I rode back to where the kids were camped in the road, but I had my kiddo with me, so I never confront folks with him along. Actually, I have confronted dozens of people, about alot of different "violations", all to be fallen on deaf ears. They feel they have the "right", and I was actually told this by a couple different folks. That is why I take it upon myself, others do too, to go in and clean up after they leave. The area specifically is within the National Forest, and if they were riding on tundra or up at the dam, they broke trail, and are subject to a $500 FS fine. I did see lots of places where trucks or Jeeps had tried going off road and around obstacles due to snow coverage as well, all over not just up Rainbow Rd. Really disgusting the way alot of folks (Americans) can abuse our resources, and have basically no respect, for anything.
Sorry you had a "not so pleasant" experience after a great ski, krz2fer, that sums up my feeling come the following week after the weekend, patrolling around the area.
flintster wrote:You can thank Clear Creek County for how they have treated that area (Loch Lomond, Fall River, etc.) over the years...

http://www.co.clear-creek.co.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How do I take this statement? Is it an attack on residents(me) or county officials?

Rich Allen, that is hillarious!! I have thought long and hard of that same tactic, but never followed thru.
One of the worst scenarios I witnessed was in a fire ban, on the 4th of July weekend, raging 10' wide bonfire, guns(shooting), beer&liquor (cases), music loud (hard core rap) and guy's shooting off fireworks into the forest!?!?!?!?! I don't know how I waited for the sheriff and the F.S.'s L.E.O. They were arrested, thankfully. And they told me to F*** off, and mind my own business, I was!! :roll: =D> This was just before the gate that blocks the dam road for Fall River Res.
One of the residents on Rainbow( a plumbing customer of mine), is having a type of summer vacation bible school, I will coordinate with him and get those kids up there to help clean up. I certainly cannot do it all, but I do try.
On a side, if you ever see someone "breaking trail" by either vehicle or machine, please call the sheriff at 303-569-2323 their non-emergency number and report it. Sometimes they are caught, I have seen it. And a call to the USFS rangers office, to report all the trash and other violations, 303-567-3000. The only time I have ever seen USFS employees out and about, besides the L.E.O., was up on the glacier, to remove the "debris" (rails,traffic cones,and various snowboard obstacles), but somehow missed all the trash, broken glass, etc. that is everywhere at the campsites. The rangers actually told me they had to remove the "debris", because it posed a danger?!?!?!?!? I figure doing the glacier in and of itself is dangerous, but that is just me, but to worry about "debris" and not about the other real problems, as mentioned above, oh boy.
Paul
Hacksaw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hacksaw »

kaiman wrote:
RichAllen wrote:Here is a story I posted a long time ago about what I did the last time I found a bunch of trash:

Here is a funny story (I think) about trash: My wife and I were hiking up to Loch Lomond on that nasty jeep road when we came across four twenty-somethings at a campsite about a half mile from the lake that was just trashed. Beer cans, donuts, wrappers...it literally looked like a landfill. They were all piling in their truck to leave and I asked "Are you going to clean that up?" They said they would, but we all knew they weren't going to. As I walked away, I made sure they saw me writing their license plate down, and continued on. On the way back, we looked, and they had simply piled some of the garbage in the fire pit, and the rest was still strewn around. We had some bags, so we picked up what we could carry. I found a Petsmart frequent shopper keyring tag and tucked it away for potential mischief later.

About a month later, I went into Petsmart with the tag and told the clerk "I have just recently moved and can't remember if I changed the address for this or not. What address do you have?" She gave me an address in the metro area. I did a drive-by, and sure enough...there was the truck. I went home, gathered all my garbage and some used cat litter (taking my identifying info off any of the garbage, of course) and left a big pile on their front porch and lawn. I also left a note on the truck, reminding them of their campsite. Sometimes **** happens, but it's better if it is arranged.
:lol: Wow, that made me laugh. Way to go!
Excellent!!
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

=D> Great story Rich!! I could so see myself doing something similar that you did in that same sort of situation. I can't stand people when they litter & trash out the mountains and great outdoors.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Did anyone see this?

http://www.gazette.com/articles/slew-99 ... mping.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very sad that a few, obnoxious, losers can have such a huge (negative) impact.... I'm glad that they're ticketing, sounds like it could be a big revenue generator for that area.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Did anyone see this?

http://www.gazette.com/articles/slew-99 ... mping.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very sad that a few, obnoxious, losers can have such a huge (negative) impact.... I'm glad that they're ticketing, sounds like it could be a big revenue generator for that area.
Scott's a user on the forum. I'm surpised he hasn't posted that article himself, yet.