North Star ridge?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

North Star ridge?

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Hi, was thinking of trying North Star (via Hoosier Pass) and read some accounts of the ridge being a little dicey in spots with snow and ice. How bad is it? I.e. do you just have to be extra careful or could it turn one around, right then and there? How long is the dicey section?
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Re: North Star ridge?

Post by Kevin Baker »

I wouldn't call it dicey. I'm pretty sure I never got out the axe, but conditions will vary. The ridge has a few narrow spots, but I don't remember a point where there was huge exposure on both sides. The south side of the ridge is pretty mellow. There is a chance that you could run into a cornice, but there should be plenty of room to avoid any on the south side. Enjoy!

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/2 ... e-sky.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

We did North Starr 1-16-10. We took poles and Microspikes. There are a few spots where the snow or ice could make it interesting, depending how the weather has worked it. Like Kevin said, an axe could be desired in a spot or two, or you could carry one and maybe not use it. I would definitely take something with points.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

We just did this on May 8 (I think you were doing Hoosier Ridge that day). It wasn't too bad. Crampons and an axe are good to have. There were a couple of spots on the way up on the ridge where it narrowed that looked a little interesting due to the snow being steep on both sides and the consequence of a fall. At one spot I considered turning back, but we went on. After we passed it, I was concerned about crossing that spot on the way back, but I didn't even notice it on our return. I asked Kegger - "Where was that sketchy part?" She said "We passed it a while ago." So maybe it really wasn't that bad...

We gained the ridge as early as possible (we went straight up the small hill about 200 yrds into the hike, followed the top of that hill to the obvious goal, descended a bit to a small saddle with some metal 'buildings,' then went straight up the ridge to the top), but we could have shaved a bump or too off the route by staying on the road that is just south of the ridge (the summer route, I think) - though there was a fence across it. Avy danger didn't look bad for that side-hill road that day. We reversed our ascent route on the way down. Staying on the ridge gave us some glissades.

Several false summits may get you demoralized, but it was a good hike!
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Thanks everyone!

And yes BobbyFinn, that was my liberty you saw...and given that we did Hoosier Ridge, I don't think North Star could possibly have as many "bumps" or "false summits" as Hoosier did. But I'll be mentally prepared, nonetheless.... :)

Congrats on North Star!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

The bumbs are definitely not as bad as Hoosier Ridge. After doing that one, you should be used to the disappointment of gaining the summit - only to find a slightly taller one laughing at your efforts. At least that's what it felt like to me...
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

It's not a lot of elevation gain-loss. It just seems to go on for quite a ways after initially gaining most of the elevation fairly quickly.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert