Looking for a REALLY easy 13er near Buena Vista

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Looking for a REALLY easy 13er near Buena Vista

Post by DaveLanders »

Turner Peak has a high trailhead off the Cottonwood Pass road. It's Class 1 or easy Class 2 at the most.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Hmmm... don't know if you'll find much meeting your requirements. By "easy", I assume you're talking class 1-2, about 1000+ elevation gain? If so, you'll need a TH at >12K, which there are very few of (and even fewer are 2WD-capable). And easy approaches are scarce in the Sawatch in general.

How about some nice 12ers instead? :)
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

I can't think of anything close or easy meeting your qualities even if you start from Cottonwood Pass (12,126'). Of course, even a leisurely stroll along the Divide in either direction would be great exercise with fine scenery to boot.

Otherwise you probably should avoid Buena Vista. You can't miss with Sniktau or Cupid from Loveland Pass, and you get the same leisurely hiking opportunity with magnificent scenery in all directions.

Anyone done any 13er hiking from Independence Pass (W of Leadville, N of Buena Vista)?
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
MikeyC
14ers: 26 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MikeyC »

I seem to remember thinking that there were some easier looking routes from the top of independence when I was parked up there last year with my folks. I couldn't tell you what peaks they were but they were pretty high. I think you could take a ridge run up there and you really can't beat the views! Just a thought.

-Mike
Rich H
14ers: 45  7 
13ers: 163
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rich H »

W Buffalo Pk from the 4 mile crk trail...
RobertPetrowsky
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RobertPetrowsky »

Hiking to the small peak south of Independence Pass gives a great view of Grizzly Peak and only takes 45 minutes to an hour. Otherwise you can do Cottonwood Pass. It has a little more up and down to get to a 13er and its a bit farther but the views to Ice Mountain are the best in the state. Loveland pass to cupid is the most straight forward 13er climb I have ever done and it is only about half an hour walk.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

MikeyC wrote:I seem to remember thinking that there were some easier looking routes from the top of independence when I was parked up there last year with my folks. I couldn't tell you what peaks they were but they were pretty high. I think you could take a ridge run up there and you really can't beat the views! Just a thought.

-Mike
leadvilleclimber wrote:Hiking to the small peak south of Independence Pass gives a great view of Grizzly Peak and only takes 45 minutes to an hour. Otherwise you can do Cottonwood Pass. It has a little more up and down to get to a 13er and its a bit farther but the views to Ice Mountain are the best in the state. Loveland pass to cupid is the most straight forward 13er climb I have ever done and it is only about half an hour walk.
UN 13,500 and Twining (Blue) Peak (13,711') are easy hikes north from the top of Independence Pass.

And I agree on the great view of Grizzly...
Grizzly Peak.small.jpg
Grizzly Peak.small.jpg (126.91 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

You could try Weston Peak and/or Ptarmigan Peak from Weston Pass. These would be similar to Sniktau in effort, but closer to BV. The pass is 11,900' and accessible to passenger cars from the east side.
http://www.summitpost.org/route/615405/ ... route.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -Peak.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Twining is the only one reasonably nearby that I can think of that will meet the requirements as well.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Forgot about IP. Twining would be a good goal because you could summit Pt. 13500 and you've got your 13er even if you decide you didn't want to press on to Twining.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Take her up the old railroad grade to the apline tunnel. Easy car access to a high trail head, easy four percent grade all the way to the tunnel, a moderately steep hike a couple of hundred vert to the pass and an equally short hike down the othe side to the historical stuff there. Four miles one way, eight about round trip. It's easily accessed from the BV area.

And it passes through the "ghost town" of Saint Elmo. It's not exactly what you asked for, but it gets you up pretty high with a kid friendly hike and some history to boot. My kids all liked it when they were her age or younger.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

seannunn wrote:Thanks so much for the info. I know that it sounds like a tall order. I might have to settle for a 12'er or some such mountain (which is OK with me). Thanks again.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
Heading the other way, Pennsylvania Mountain near Sherman is very easy. ~4 miles and 1,200 feet.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason