One day centennial

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
syzygy01
14ers: 48  11  5 
13ers: 4 2 2
Trip Reports (1)

One day centennial

Post by syzygy01 »

Hey,

So I've been climbing 14ers for a little while now, but I'd like to expand my options a bit by looking into the 13ers. A friend and I would like to climb one this Thursday possibly, but honestly I don't know too much about them. Does anyone have any suggestions for a one day centennial (from Denver) that is relatively easy and safe? All ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

JP
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Re: One day centennial

Post by wildlobo71 »

I don't know how access into the Waldorf area is (start up Guanella pass Road from Georgetown, before the closure make a right at one of the turnouts and head uphill...) in the winter - it might be quite a trek. If you can get up there, Walk up and over McLellan Mountain (13,587') and hit Mount Edwards (13,850') - it is I believe #83?? It's a very easy climb, and the closest to Denver (actual distance). If your aim is only centennials, you are missing out a really good, fairly easy, climb in Square Top Mountain (13,794', #111 overall). Start up Guanella Pass from Grant (US 285) and get to the gate, hike in to the pass and start west at the restrooms.

The next closest Centennials, to Denver, is Mount Meeker (13,911', #68); Mount Buckskin (13,865', #76); Clinton Peak (13,857', #80); Crystal Peak (13,852', #82); Atlantic Peak (13,841', #87), and Mount Silverheels (13,822', #96). Those are all about 60 miles (as the crow flies) from Denver, or closer.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

"Relatively easy" is very relative in February. :)
Some of the easier ones that aren't too far (in summer) are Fletcher from Blue Lakes, Crystal from either Spruce Creek TH (Breckenridge) or Mayflower Gulch, Silverheels from several possible starting points around Hoosier Pass or Fairplay, or Buckskin from Kite Lake. In winter, the approaches are longer, of course (except for Spruce Creek or Hoosier Pass THs, which are usually accessible).

Roach's 13er book is the golden reference for the centennials; you might want to pick up a copy.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Thanks Jim for ringing the bell; let me note here that while I say they are easy climbs, I've never done Edwards in winter, and I did Squaretop in late November. Squaretop has a history of avalanche on the long SW ridge. This can be avoided, but use your judgement. I don't know that from McLellan to Edwards is much of an avy threat, the saddle between the two is only about 350-400 feet below the summit - it may not be worth it if you have to ski/snowshoe/walk in the 5-6 miles from Guanella Pass to the base of McClellan.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Silverheels from Hoosier Pass is a good one, we took a very large group up in 2008 for the 14ers winter gathering, here is a TR:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include

Just be careful to stay on the ridge until the correct spur to avoid potential avy slopes, Scott has a good route description on SP - our group took the "blue line" with the green alternate to avoid the avy slopes:

http://www.summitpost.org/route/167980/ ... -spur.html

Crystal or Pacific from Mayflower Gulch and then up to the saddle between the two is another good option. Swing wide of Pacific's slopes to avoid potential slide paths. Atlantic's west ridge from the same can be good, but has some exposed cornices and can be sketchy after recent snows (this week is probably not good). I have done Crystal that way in January before, but got turned back by the cornices on Atlantic on a winter attempt.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day