Audubon over Spring Break (Late March)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Redleg Bruce
14ers: 10 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Audubon over Spring Break (Late March)

Post by Redleg Bruce »

My wife and I are going to head out to CO over my spring break to make an attempt at a winter ascent on Mount Audubon. I was wondering if anyone has done this particular peak during winter and also if there is generally much avalanche danger on that mountain during the winter. I've never taken an avalanche course of any kind, so I really have no idea about that sort of thing; any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will check into that aspect more as the time draws near, but until then there is really no use to try to find out.

We are going to rent snowshoes from the REI in Denver and we'll get the cold weather gear on our own. Anyone have any advice on what clothing would be needed for a winter climb? Obviously layers, no cotton, etc. I plan on having windproof shells for both tops and bottoms as that area is notoriously windy as far as I know.

Thanks for any advice.
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!
KenB
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Audubon over Spring Break (Late March)

Post by KenB »

Near treeline where the summer trail starts switch-backing there's a gully to climbers left that could slide so stay outta that. On your way up record a couple of GPS waypoints since visibility has a way of disappearing up there. Figure out a full face protection / goggle system that won't fog up on you otherwise you'll risk frostbiting your face. Rent x-c ski poles with your snowshoes & they'll help you stay upright in the wind.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

You have to add about six miles to the standard hike because
the car road is only open halfway to the lake.

The REIs are offering Avy course almost weekly.
There are several spots on the trail in the critical 30-45 degree slope.
It also depends on which way the wind has been blowing.
The danger directions are shown on the CAIC website.
Redleg Bruce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Redleg Bruce »

peter303 wrote:You have to add about six miles to the standard hike because
the car road is only open halfway to the lake.
That was actually going to be my next question. Would that be 6 miles round trip or one way?

I would love to take some avy training but I have no way of doing so, seeing as how I live on the eastern border of KS in Leavenworth. I am going to see what I can't find online and I will check conditions before we do any hiking, of course.

Field Artillery go BOOM!
Motown Mike
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Motown Mike »

Just a few photos from Memorial Day Weekend last year these were taken on the trail at Left Hand Res. just over 10,000'... in late MAY... so you can expect alot of snow in March. Audubon is in the background in one of the photos... anticipate high winds once you are above treeline.
Attachments
small 5.26.093.jpg
small 5.26.093.jpg (36.92 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
small 5.26.092.jpg
small 5.26.092.jpg (30.04 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
small 5.26.091.jpg
small 5.26.091.jpg (24.25 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Motown Mike wrote:Just a few photos from Memorial Day Weekend last year these were taken on the trail at Left Hand Res. just over 10,000'... in late MAY... so you can expect alot of snow in March. Audubon is in the background in one of the photos... anticipate high winds once you are above treeline.
Most of that snow came in April. Last year the snowpack was pretty mediocre until the April storms hit.

This year we're doing particularly poorly, but things should get started...eventually.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Redleg Bruce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Redleg Bruce »

As of right now I am planning on getting out there in the early afternoon and hiking in to within about 3 miles of the summit and then pitching the 4 season tent that I will be buying (not sure which) and camping, making our summit attempt the morning after. Again, I will be checking for avalanche potential before heading out there. The slopes up to Audubon are pretty gentle save for the last couple hundred vertical feet. Either way, with as popular an area as that is, I suspect there may be a nice trench all the way to the summit of Audubon. Would there be much danger following the ridge between audubon and Paiute Peak if there was any avalanche danger?

Field Artillery go BOOM!