Rosalie Peak Avy Danger?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mtnbird
Trip Reports (0)

Rosalie Peak Avy Danger?

Post by Mtnbird »

I am new to the forum and am trying to find info on peaks/routes to climb in during the winter that are considered relatively safe from avalanche danger. I am thinking about climbing Rosalie Peak this weekend via the East Ridge. Is this an avy-safe route. Thanks!
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Rosalie Peak Avy Danger?

Post by JeffR »

Yes, it is very avy-safe.

BTW, the trail up Tanglewood Creek is usually well-travelled, so it will probably be nice and packed. Good luck!
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

Got home a couple of hours ago and noticed that the trail above treeline is rapidly melting away (at least the last mile). As long as winds are kept at bay, there should be no difficulty at all - I LOVE this hike!!
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
Mtnbird
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mtnbird »

Thanks for the information! So it sounds like with the packed trail and snow melting away on top, snowshoes are not necessary?
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

Personally, I would bring the snowshoes with. Over half the hike is under a pretty thick canopy, and while the trail does see a lot of traffic, much of the boot pack will likely be within the first mile or two.

Also, as a friendly reminder . . . after the first mile, you'll come to an intersection with a sign indicating a fork in the trail. One option will be to go to the left on Rosalie Trail - DO NOT take this option. Stay going straight on Tanglewood - taking you up between Royal Mountain and Bandit Peak. I know this has confused others in the past.

Looks like today will be beautiful out there - have a great time!
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison