Name this Couloir

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dad Mike
14ers: 58  5  58 
13ers: 349 3 77
Trip Reports (59)

Name this Couloir

Post by Dad Mike »

Does anyone have any information on this couloir? I spotted it from Boudoir on Horseshoe yesterday. It's steep, but continuous. I'd love to come back and climb it in the spring.
018b.jpg
018b.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Name this Couloir

Post by EatinHardtack »

I've seen that couloir a couple of times now but can't tell you the name of it. That whole thing looks like a No Fall climb. How were conditions in the Boudoir?
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
COmedic04
14ers: 38  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by COmedic04 »

I'm goin' back to conquer the freakin' Boudoir soon...wanna join, Zach? :roll:
"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev
ClimbandMine
14ers: 57 
13ers: 47 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbandMine »

I don't know what its called, but I'd be down for an early Spring ascent. Looks like fun.
I don't care that you Tele.
EatinHardtack
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Ah Ryan you know I'll kick steps for ya! Anytime Bud!
COmedic04
Trip Reports (6)

Post by COmedic04 »

EatinHardtack wrote:Ah Ryan you know I'll kick steps for ya! Anytime Bud!
=; Hey now...uncool!
"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev
EatinHardtack
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Alright then maybe when we go we can get on a schedule? You kick steps one trip then me and so on. Sound good? You might owe me one for Horseshe though :D
COmedic04
Trip Reports (6)

Post by COmedic04 »

:lol: Sounds like a plan! That, and I need to get you to the Garden, or down to Shelf Road for some technical climbing! :wink:

Enough thread hijacking...I also remember eyeing that unnamed couloir this past spring. While it did look sexy, the steepness would probably require screws and rope...and that's IF the ice in it is stable/thick enough to place pro in. If it was only powder/pack, Zach's right, one slip and you're toast. You'd go pinging off the walls of that couloir like a pinball. :shock:
- Anatoly Boukreev
jf32
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by jf32 »

can i get into this rotation?
When you come to a fork in the road take it
Dad Mike
14ers: 58  5  58 
13ers: 349 3 77
Trip Reports (59)

Post by Dad Mike »

Paula Abdul might like the conditions in the Boudoir right now, but I did not.

dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

COmedic04 wrote::lol: Sounds like a plan! That, and I need to get you to the Garden, or down to Shelf Road for some technical climbing! :wink:

Enough thread hijacking...I also remember eyeing that unnamed couloir this past spring. While it did look sexy, the steepness would probably require screws and rope...and that's IF the ice in it is stable/thick enough to place pro in. If it was only powder/pack, Zach's right, one slip and you're toast. You'd go pinging off the walls of that couloir like a pinball. :shock:
Hey Guys,

Keep me in mind because I would like to do this one and should be ready. Also, I will bring zip-ties, staples, rope, nails and anything else necessary to keep that helmet on Ryan's head!!! :D
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Has anyone been close to that couloir, near the base? I ask because it looks unusually steep for a snow couloir (but of course it's hard to tell from the vantage point of the photo). After 50-60+ degrees snow starts to slough off...I wonder if it has a base of ice? This is in the cirque formed by Horseshoe Mountain? Looks pretty interesting, any info would be appreciated, thanks.
-Tom