North Star Mountain East Ridge Route

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: North Star Mountain East Ridge Route

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Here's the route description on http://www.breckenridgeclimbing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
http://www.breckenridgeclimbing.com/brk ... 20Mountain

Once you get to the base of the shoulder and the snow fields near the Magnolia Mine, carefully pick your line up the snow/rocks to avoid being in the middle of a large snow field. This time of year, you should be able to follow rocks around the main snow fields before turning right to ascend the SE should to the top of the ridge. Once on the ridge, there are some narrow sections, but nothing technical (when dry). A big concern would be whether or not cornices have been formed on the narrow sections. I haven't been up there recently, so I don't know the conditions of the ridge.

That route description provides photos of the ridge, when dry.

Here's a shot from 2007 when the route had a bit more snow than now:
Attachments
North Star Mtn.
North Star Mtn.
200701_North04a.jpg (123.53 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: North Star Mountain East Ridge Route

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

There are times when they would be very helpful, but it's hard to know until you're there to see the snow/ridge. I've done that climb twice in mid-winter and did not use crampons, although I did have them in my pack.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs