Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Almagre

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: Almagre

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks everyone. We skipped it last week, though I was fortunate enough to get this ride in earlier this Fall before the snow.

For any true penitents out there that crave aerobic suffering, it's hard to top this ride if done from town. The road from the top of Old Stage to the turn in at Frosty's Park is gorgeous. I recommend a weekday, however, as there are too many cars on Old Stage on the weekends in nice weather.

Here's a shot from the September 17th ride:

Fall Ride up Almagre.jpg
Fall Ride up Almagre.jpg (199.39 KiB) Viewed 654 times

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:54 am

I drove up Old Stage almost to the Gold Camp intersection this weekend (and hiked the McNeil trail). The road itself is free of snow and ice up to this point, but there's some snow on the shady north-facing portions. The road was kind of muddy and sloppy in places, though; my car is pretty splattered.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:59 pm

Anyone been up Almagre recently? How much snow? Would it be rideable by bike?

Thanks.

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:25 pm

I was on the Buckhorn trail today, and it was still snowpacked in spots at about 8500' (although I saw some bikers riding it anyway). I got this accidental picture of Almagre looking up the canyon from above bridge #7, roughly. Maybe it will help... looks pretty snowy up there.
NorthCheyenne.jpg
NorthCheyenne.jpg (140.38 KiB) Viewed 271 times
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Monte Meals » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:06 pm

I walked up the Forest Service road last weekend (April 1, 2013) thru Frosty Park.

Easy going up to (around) 10,000 feet where the 4wd vehicles had created easy trenches thru the drifts.

Skinned up and popped on my skis for another 1,000 feet or so of climb before returning.

Hit it early enough and it may be rideable - later in the day, well your bike will probably
enjoy riding you :-D

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:27 am

Thanks, guys. Shucks, just when it started feeling like summer, we're getting 2-4" and 20 degrees for the high tomorrow. Must be spring.

Previous