Almagre

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Re: Almagre

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Thanks everyone. We skipped it last week, though I was fortunate enough to get this ride in earlier this Fall before the snow.

For any true penitents out there that crave aerobic suffering, it's hard to top this ride if done from town. The road from the top of Old Stage to the turn in at Frosty's Park is gorgeous. I recommend a weekday, however, as there are too many cars on Old Stage on the weekends in nice weather.

Here's a shot from the September 17th ride:
Fall Ride up Almagre.jpg
Fall Ride up Almagre.jpg (199.39 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I drove up Old Stage almost to the Gold Camp intersection this weekend (and hiked the McNeil trail). The road itself is free of snow and ice up to this point, but there's some snow on the shady north-facing portions. The road was kind of muddy and sloppy in places, though; my car is pretty splattered.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Anyone been up Almagre recently? How much snow? Would it be rideable by bike?

Thanks.
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I was on the Buckhorn trail today, and it was still snowpacked in spots at about 8500' (although I saw some bikers riding it anyway). I got this accidental picture of Almagre looking up the canyon from above bridge #7, roughly. Maybe it will help... looks pretty snowy up there.
NorthCheyenne.jpg
NorthCheyenne.jpg (140.38 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

I walked up the Forest Service road last weekend (April 1, 2013) thru Frosty Park.

Easy going up to (around) 10,000 feet where the 4wd vehicles had created easy trenches thru the drifts.

Skinned up and popped on my skis for another 1,000 feet or so of climb before returning.

Hit it early enough and it may be rideable - later in the day, well your bike will probably
enjoy riding you :-D
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Thanks, guys. Shucks, just when it started feeling like summer, we're getting 2-4" and 20 degrees for the high tomorrow. Must be spring.
bdloftin77
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Has anyone been up Almagre recently? I'm wondering how much snow is up there. Also, if they've finished construction along Old Stage Road, or if it's still only open during weekends. Thanks!
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Not sure how useful this is, but a friend hiked up nearby Mt. Rosa on Monday and reported "a lot" of snow. I'm sure some of it had to melt with this weeks high temps. It should be fairly easy to follow forest service road 379 up to the gate at the end of the road, barring any construction closures/delays on Old Stage Road.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."