Santa Fe Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Santa Fe Peak

Post by Neil »

I am looking to hike Santa Fe Peak tomorrow, then follow the connecting ridge to Sullivan Mountain, Geneva Peak and Landslide Peak. I am starting this hike from Montezuma and heading up the Santa Fe Peak 4WD road. For those who have either climbed Santa Fe or otherwise traveled up this road, how far can I expect to get with a Subaru Outback? I am not opposed to a few dings, but would prefer to keep it upright and on all four wheels! I don't need to drive too far, but would like to at least get out of Montezuma a bit.

Thank you for any help!
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Santa Fe Peak

Post by kimo »

I drove the road to the end in 2005. I drove a mostly-stock 4WD Toyota Pickup. I don't recall any rock obstacles or off-camber sections. Low range will be nice on the upper switchbacks. Give it a try!

The upper switchbacks.
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Santa Fe Peak

Post by Neil »

Thanks Kimo...I appreciate the info! Actually, that picture helps quite a bit. To keep a decent bit of elevation gain over the four peaks, I will likely park at or near the truck in the photo.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song