What Mt. Victoria is?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alex
14ers: 31 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (0)

What Mt. Victoria is?

Post by Alex »

Looking through the Summit County hiking trails page I have found a trail to Mt. Victoria. It looks like interesting acclimatization hike, but the trail description on Summit County hiking page looks rather emotional ("This hike involves more elevation gain than an ascent of 14er Mt. Democrat from Kite Lake" - quote). I could not find the mountain on summitpost.
Could you help me please to find more technical information? I mean summit elevation, hike YDS class, and so on.
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!
SarahSimon
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What Mt. Victoria is?

Post by SarahSimon »

Alex,

Mt. Victoria & Royal Mtn. are basically bumps/outcrops on the northern ridgeline of Peak 1. I've been up Victoria: It's basically a rock outcrop, to put it bluntly.

Sarah
"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there." ~ John Wooden
GravityPilot
14ers: 18 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by GravityPilot »

Elevation is about 11,600'. It's about half way between Mt. Royal and Peak One when looking at the range. It's on the way to Peak One if you are climbing it from Mt. Royal TH, you also hike past the top of "J" Chute a classic local dawn patrol ski. There's some vert for sure, but it is just a hike. The view from up there is great.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Mt Victoria is the bump on the far left, at treeline...
LakeDillon.small.JPG
LakeDillon.small.JPG (148.13 KiB) Viewed 4764 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Fiemus
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fiemus »

You can make out Mt Victoria in this picture (if you have good eyesight!). It's the first bump in the ridge to the right of Peak 1.

http://pattyabaker.com/prints/tenmile_gore.jpg

Or a slightly more accurate image from Google Maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 1&t=p&z=15
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Dave Muller's "Colorado Summit Hikes for Everyone" has a good route description for "Mt. Royal,", including where to find the trailhead in downtown Frisco. You can summit "Mt. Royal," descend about a hundred yards to the Peak One Trail, and follow this excellent trail past a radio transmitting station to the top of "Mt. Victoria" Neither peak is ranked, but they're both popular hikes. The hike passes through an avalanche chute that wiped out an entire village many years ago, so don't wait until mid-winter to hike it.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
Alex
14ers: 31 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alex »

Thanks to everyone for the answers. :D
I am definitely not gonna wait until mid-winter. I am going to be in Colorado on Sep. 9 - Sep. 16 and just try to build my acclimatization plan. I have already got some good suggestions, but it makes sense to look around anyway.
I don't see Mt. Victoria name on Google map, but as soon as it is between Mt. Royal and Peek 1 I understand where it should be.
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!
burningthebushes
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (4)

Post by burningthebushes »

I only know of one Mt. Victoria, save you energy for the real one!
DSCF2170.jpg
DSCF2170.jpg (92.36 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
Andy
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Andy:
You pic must be of the Mt. Victoria rising above Lake Louise in Alberta. Correct?

Which summit were you standing an to obtain this fine shot?
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

Alex wrote:Thanks to everyone for the answers. :D
I am definitely not gonna wait until mid-winter. I am going to be in Colorado on Sep. 9 - Sep. 16 and just try to build my acclimatization plan. I have already got some good suggestions, but it makes sense to look around anyway.
I don't see Mt. Victoria name on Google map, but as soon as it is between Mt. Royal and Peek 1 I understand where it should be.
It is a great tune-up hike. The trail is known as the "Frisco Satirmaster" up here because it is very steep and unforgiving going up to Mt Royal and beyond. You will enjoy great views up there and you will see some Bristlecone Pines too. The hike to Peak 1 gets a little hairy after Victoria with loose rocks and it becomes more difficult if you are trying for Peak 2, Peak 3, and Peak 4. There is a loop off of Peak 1 to Miners Creek Road and back into Frisco if you are interested...I haven't done it and don't know to get to it yet. Have fun!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE