Colorado Springs area

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tranar
Trip Reports (0)

Colorado Springs area

Post by Tranar »

I have recently moved to the wonderful state of Colorado and am looking for some good trails in the Colorado Springs area to hike. I would like to start scratching of some of the local peaks but am not sure which ones are the best to do. I have done some searching around the forums but am really looking for some direct input. I am not sure I am ready to hit one of the 14ers yet but would love to get some of the lower ones.

Please let me know of some good hikes in this area.

Thanks
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Colorado Springs area

Post by JTOlson26 »

Start doing the incline some. Waldo Canyon might be a good place for you to check out along with The Crags, although The Crags would be a bit farther for you (30 miles or so).
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Welcome to Colorado !

Give Mount Rosa a try. It's a good beginner peak and offers great views of Pikes Peak. The Frosty Park route is short and easy to follow:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -rosa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The Gazette has an online trail guidebook that's decent: http://www.gazette.com/sections/life/outthere/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My local favorites are Seven Bridges to Jones Park and the surrounding mountains, St Mary's Falls (and on to Mt Rosa), Mount Muscoco (all in North Cheyenne Canyon). There's a lot of good stuff around, just hike everything until you figure out your favorites. :D

Further away from my neighborhood, there's the legendary, crowded, and soon-to-be expensive Barr Trail ($5 parking), Palmer-Redrock loop, Bear Creek Canyon, Waldo Canyon (busy), Stanley Canyon (on the AF Academy).

If you mountain bike, try Palmer Park (confusing) or Cheyenne Mountain State Park ($6 day fee, 20 miles of easy to moderate well-built foothills trails).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

There are quite a few lower and rewarding peaks in this area. I personally like the ones in and around Cheyenne canyon, but there are plenty of good hikes. There have been a couple suggestions of Mt. Rosa and it is worth the effort, but can be long if you are not ready. Below are some links to my Trip Reports for local peaks and there are more:

Garfield (Arthur is next to this one - Via Jones Park)
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6024

Kineo (Via Jones Park)
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser

Rosa (via St Mary's falls)
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser

Almagre (not the standard Route)
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5192

Have fun on whatever you try.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
COmedic04
14ers: 38  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by COmedic04 »

Welcome to the Springs, and to 14ers.com! :D I'll let this site speak for the 14ers in the area, but as far as local hikes, you've got a plethora of choices! If you want altitude, there are MANY smaller ranked and unranked peaks to climb along the Front Range and Rampart Range...some of my favorites are Cameron's Cone, Almaghre Peak, James Peak, and Blodgett Peak. All will provide you with a quick getaway and that "Rocky Mountain High" feeling, without having to drive hours and hours away from home. Blodgett's my personal favorite, due to it's proximity to my house, although the trail is REALLY eroded in spots, and the creation of many, many "sub-trails" can make it somewhat maze-like in places...I recommend going with someone who's climbed it before to begin with, otherwise, it's very easy to get turned around.

As far as non-summit hikes, there's many, many trails in the Cheyenne Canon area, such as Captain Jack's, Section 16, Columbine Trail, and a few others. Another of my nearby favorites is Waldo Canyon, which is just up Ute Pass on Hwy-24, barely 1-2 miles outside of Manitou. It's a fantastic little 7-mile loop that really treats the hiker to a feeling of seclusion after the first few miles, despite its closeness to the city. Even closer, in-town hikes can be found as well; there are trails in Palmer Park, Ute Valley Park, and Fox Run Park (in Black Forest) that all provide some respite from crowds/traffic/noise. For even more seclusion, you can go just a short distance to Woodland Park/Deckers area and find the entrance to the Lost Creek Wilderness, which provides TONS of trails and seclusion.

This is just a small sampling, but hopefully it'll help! There a few good trail books for Colorado Springs and the Front Range around, check the local REI (just east of Woodmen/I-25) or Mountain Chalet (downtown on Tejon, just south of Platte) for a good selection, as well as great beta from the employees.

Happy trails! :D
"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev
ColoradoSherpa
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoSherpa »

+1 for Blodgette Peak. It's close and a fun climb! Not only that, but the view isn't to shabby either. You get a great view of the plains, pretty cool view of Pikes, and if it's a clear day you can see the northern 14ers on the front range and a couple of the 14ers in the Sawatch and 10mile-Misquito range. Welcome to the Colorado!

http://www.summitpost.org/trailhead/179 ... space.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fox_inthesnow
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (7)

Post by fox_inthesnow »

I'd agree with everyone's suggestions here. A couple other options (of the private variety):

Glen Eyrie offers some great hiking, particularly the Punch Bowls. You can also get up on the Scar, and are guaranteed to spot herds of bighorn sheep. They have a new online signup system though so make sure to reserve your spot if you want to check it out.

The Air Force also has some great trailheads: They have limited hours, but definitely some to check out: Stanley Canyon, Eagle Peak, and the "Three Bears".