Valhalla Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jtdudley
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Valhalla Peak

Post by jtdudley »

Anyone have any pictures or beta on the last 1/2 mile or so of scrambling up to Valhalla Peak on the East (Northeast) ridge in the Gore Range? I was up there today but had to turn back due to having my dog with me, but the scrambling looked like fun. I want to go back in the next couple weeks and link this ridge and peak, over to Keller Mountain. Thanks
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Re: Valhalla Peak

Post by Furthermore »

Both the south and west ridge have good climbing. I have no beta on the N-NE ridge.

On the west ridge avoid any difficulties by traversing on ledges on the south side of the ridge. Mostly Class 2 with some class 3 moves.

The ledges you climb on on the south side.

The south ridge is a bit more difficult. From the Snow-Valhalla saddle climb on the west side of the ridge, prior to a buttress, switch over the east side of the ridge. Stay below the ridge crest to avoid any difficulties to the summit. More class 3 climbing is involved with more exposure on this route.

I hope this helps. If you need more photos of the climbing on either route let me know. I can probably dig some up.

Here is my trip report from last year, with photos.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jtdudley
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Valhalla Peak

Post by jtdudley »

Thanks for the reply. I read your trip report prior to my original post. Looks like an incredible day with lots of ground covered! Well done. Most of the ridge is low class 3 from what I could tell, however I came to a spot or two (the ones that turned my dog back, and thus me along with her) that were likely moderate class 4. Fun scrambling none the less!

If anyone heads up that way in the near future do you mind taking a look down the E-NE ridge and maybe taking a photo?