Backpacking loop

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bwbishop
Trip Reports (0)

Backpacking loop

Post by bwbishop »

My wife and I are looking for a good 30 mile backpacking loop, preferably with baggable 12/13/14ers nearby and some lakes to camp next to. Proximity to Frisco is a plus (within 2 hours). Does anyone have a loop then enjoy and would like to share?

Thanks,

Brian
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Backpacking loop

Post by CO Native »

I did this last year and loved the trip:
http://www.hikingintherockies.com/fourt ... apmain.htm
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Rich H
14ers: 45  7 
13ers: 163
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rich H »

you might try the holy cross wilderness...pick any of many trails that lead back in towards Holyx or Mnt jackson etal
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Brian: Sent you a p.m. with a suggestion very close to Frisco. Happy trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by traderaaron »

Also sent you a p.m. on a close to Frisco trip.
Aggie_05
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Aggie_05 »

This is a good one with several 13ers and 12k'ers...
Attachments
loop.JPG
loop.JPG (178.86 KiB) Viewed 3184 times
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Gio »

Brian. I would be interested to hear what you come up with. For when are you planning your trip?

My wife and I had planned to do Pawnee Pass to Buchanan Pass loop in Indian Peaks over 4th of July weekend. Got a permit 2 weeks ago but the ranger just told me there is too much snow to make the passes. Unless we have ice axe and gear for such a trek. Which we don't.

We are looking for an alternate not so snowy loop for the 4th of July weekend. Any suggestions out there?
bwbishop
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bwbishop »

Steve,

My wife and I are going to do the Aspen 4-Pass Loop starting tomorrow monring. Looks like there is still some snow in the pass but nothing that can't be negotiated.

Have a great holiday weekend.