Isolation Peak Route

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dvisnick
Trip Reports (0)

Isolation Peak Route

Post by dvisnick »

I'm trying to plan what I'm hoping to be a pretty intense and rigorous 5 day backpacking trip with a buddy of mine this august and before i go any further, if anyone has any suggestions for any routes that fit that criteria in rmnp, let me know. Looking at my topo map, i've come across what seems to be a pretty intense trip if even possible. The route covers five peaks in five days and goes like this:

Day 1: Depart from Allenspark trailhead... Take allenspark trail to finch lake trail to pear lake trail and spend night one at pear lake campsite

Day 2: Depart from pear lake campsite heading up the southeast face of mt. copeland to the summit, then down copeland's north face to spend night two at upper ouzel creek campsite.

Day 3: (This is the day that I'm not sure is possible) Depart (super early) from upper ouzel creek west towards bluebird lake, head up to isolation peak. Once at summit, follow continental divide through the cleaver, tanima peak, to boulder grand pass and head down to spend night three at thunder lake campsite.

Day 4: Depart from Thunder lake campsite east on thunder lake trail and cut off north towards the summits of mt. orton (where the best place to head north would be? im not sure). Summit Mt. Orton then head down the east face to spend night four at sandbeach lake campsite.

Day 5: Take sandbeach lake trail east and out the trail head

What do you guys think? Is it do able?
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Isolation Peak Route

Post by ajkagy »

dvisnick wrote: Day 3: (This is the day that I'm not sure is possible) Depart (super early) from upper ouzel creek west towards bluebird lake, head up to isolation peak. Once at summit, follow continental divide through the cleaver, tanima peak, to boulder grand pass and head down to spend night three at thunder lake campsite.
If you don't mind downclimbing some class 5 rock then yea go for it, but personally I'd rather climb the cleaver and go up to isolation. That would probably be your biggest obstacle. Thunder lake is pretty awesome, definitely worth an extra night stay there.

Here is an old thread of mine asking about the cleaver

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... er#p128842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been through Boulder grand pass, but never been on the cleaver...maybe this summer though! looks hella fun.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;