Rio Grande Pyramid/Window

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ron McFarland
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rio Grande Pyramid/Window

Post by Ron McFarland »

We walked below Rio Grande Pyramid and Window last week and learned that a cyclone force windstorm went through the Weminuchi Wilderness last fall. Many down trees on the Skyline trail - most likely a good scramble for backpackers or hikers - we had to do a little off roading with our two llamas.

Good idea to check with Forest Service in Creede for current trail status in area - most are open - but with potential for down trees. The Ute Creek trail was completely closed until July 15 - massive down timber on the lower portion of the trail.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Last minute homework assignment- google - pyramid?
Try reading your textbook. Any geometry textbook will answer your question.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Seriously, Steve? Rio Nieve Couloir on (north facing) this snowpack? Be careful, man. In my opinion, not the brightest idea.

Ken Nolan did it back in Feb/March of 2008. It took him 2 days, solo. But then again, the guy is a machine.
It's about 5-6 miles from the road closure to the Thirtymile TH. Then posthole heaven from there on out.

The topo is from his TR over at 14erworld.
s01_RouteMap.jpg
s01_RouteMap.jpg (198.7 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
stevevets689 wrote:Planning on hitting up the Rio Nieve Couloir on RGP on Saturday after hiking in on Friday. What days were you planning on going in? Are you going to do the standard route?
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

I love it when old threads are resurrected, especially ones like this.

"by stevevets689 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:55 pm

Planning on hitting up the Rio Nieve Couloir on RGP on Saturday after hiking in on Friday. What days were you planning on going in? Are you going to do the standard route?"
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

=D> =D>
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I smell a spambot.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 721AAwwfBH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

lol Kiefer, no, I'm not climbing Rio Nieve in winter. Don't worry, I haven't completely lost my mind.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Kiefer
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

:lol: I read that and I leaned back in my chair & started to laugh. I didn't think you would b/c you def. know what you're doing but I had to ask! :wink:
BTW, have you run into Gabe down there? He's also at gunny.
stevevets689 wrote:lol Kiefer, no, I'm not climbing Rio Nieve in winter. Don't worry, I haven't completely lost my mind.
stevevets689
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

Yeah, actually I have. We're planning on doing some backcountry skiing once the area closes and I have my weekends free. Seems like a pretty cool guy
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Kiefer
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Be careful around, Gabe...It's been known that the guy likes to drink :iluvbeer: and bring the overall 'joyous' feeling in the bar up a few pegs! :P

AND.....
I need to pay serious attention to the thread dates #-o
Just chalk this up to yet ANOTHER 'Kiefer' moment.
stevevets689 wrote:Yeah, actually I have. We're planning on doing some backcountry skiing once the area closes and I have my weekends free. Seems like a pretty cool guy
stevevets689
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

Yeah, well I need to pay more attention to the forum in general. I basically took fall and winter-long (so far) hiatus from the forum and mostly from climbing as well, but I'm working on changing that now. Did you see my latest trip report? I'm hoping that's just a preview for this summer