Flattop Mtn conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Flattop Mtn conditions

Post by clemsonmtneer »

Has anyone been up to Flattop Mtn recently? My friend and I are thinking about hiking up there with our skis on Saturday morning, so I was wondering what the snow conditions are like and if the trail is skinnable, or if we'd be better off bootpacking the whole way up.
colokev
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Flattop Mtn conditions

Post by colokev »

I was just up there Sunday morning. Still lots of snow on the trail, both below and above treeline. So much so that I donned the crampons at about 9850' and didn't take them off until about 1/4 mile shy of the summit. They probably were not necessary, but I felt better having them on. I'm not a skier, so I don't know what makes for good conditions, but a couple of other skiers passed me on the way up just above treeline. They were hiking in their boots at that point, but stopped a little further up and attached their skis. I did not see where they descended. The snow is melting fast however, and I was surprised at how soft the snow was even at 7 AM. I don't know if this week's storms added any fresh. Hope this info is helpful.
"I got a feeva... and the only prescription is more cowbell!" -- legendary rock producer, Bruce Dickinson
clemsonmtneer
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

That is very helpful, thanks a ton for the info!
lurker
14ers: 51  5 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (1)

Post by lurker »

ClemsonMtneer,

I heard that RMNP got 8 inches of snow the other day/night, haven't verified other than word of mouth, and the nights have been cloudy and not that cold.

FWIW:
I was climbing up the NorthEast Face couloirs of Flattop last saturday morning when I heard thunder. I had assumed it was from the rain clouds over Estes since I had blue sky above and to the West of me. Talking to some skiers I met at the junction on the way down I guess one of the cornices ripped off at 8:30am, not clear if it was over the Fingers or on the Notch Top side. The snow was really soft on the north side.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir
clemsonmtneer
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

Yikes, that's pretty scary about the cornice. From what I've heard, high pressure is supposed to start moving in tomorrow and the nights should be clear with temps in the 20's up high through the weekend, but I guess I'll have to monitor the weather closely to make sure. Thanks for the update.
clemsonmtneer
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

Well, so I was definitely wrong about the high pressure. Looking more like a good chance for some snow this weekend. After reading Bill's word of caution on wet avalanche danger this weekend, I'm thinking a ski descent is not in the cards.