James Peak Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lowebacker
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

James Peak Conditions?

Post by lowebacker »

I'm thinking of skinning up James Peak this weekend. Anyone ski it recently, if so how are the conditions? I really just want to get out since I've been so busy lately, so I am up for any other recommendations. Thanks.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: James Peak Conditions?

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I did a ski up there last weekend and shot some shots. I didn't get to ski what I wanted because it was too icy but the coverage is really good on the east face.

You can check out the pics here
http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s114 ... es%20peak/
Bogart
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bogart »

Second that. I skied James Peak on Tuesday and the conditions were great. The east face is holding a lot of snow right now. Shoot me a PM and I can send you a photo. On a side note I saw a bear with two cubs at the lake below the glacier.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:I did a ski up there last weekend and shot some shots. I didn't get to ski what I wanted because it was too icy but the coverage is really good on the east face.

Is that starlight in your pics? Looks really nice right now.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

ajkagy wrote:
SchralpTheGnar wrote:I did a ski up there last weekend and shot some shots. I didn't get to ski what I wanted because it was too icy but the coverage is really good on the east face.

Is that starlight in your pics? Looks really nice right now.
There's a picture of Starlight, Shooting Star, and Super Star in there. They all looked really nice, dare I say perfect even. I tried to ski Starlight but it was way too firm when I got there so I just bailed as I was in a spot of bother as to time.
Nathan Hoobler
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 68
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

We were up at James on Saturday. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.

We intended to climb Shooting Star, but probably got there too late. There were a LOT of mini-avalanches coming down (and some that weren't so mini!). A lot of rockfall and snow falling down the face.

Instead, we abandoned Shooting Star and climbed Starlight. Conditions were pretty good, though a touch on the soft side. Before we climbed it, two skiers came down the couloir and seemed to think it was okay.
lowebacker
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lowebacker »

^^I was planning on doing the same thing as you guys. I think I probably followed your tracks a bit once I headed over the east ridge towards the couloirs, but after starting to posthole and seeing those fairly fresh sloughs I bailed and went up the east ridge.