Mt Ouray/Marshall Pass Rd Beta?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DHatfield
14ers: 58 
13ers: 274
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Mt Ouray/Marshall Pass Rd Beta?

Post by DHatfield »

The road is in really good shape and plenty wide. I don't remember there being any big drop offs or narrow shelf roads. The trailhead is approximately 5.0 miles from Highway 285.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The road is a good two-lane dirt road, usually pretty smooth with good shoulders and turnarounds, standard stuff for an old railroad grade. Roach's directions starting at the turnoff from US 285: Go southwest on FS 200, turn west (right) at mile 2.4 onto FS 202, turn north (right) at a four-way junction at mile 3.2 back onto FS 200, reach Grays Creek at mile 7.4 (parking for several cars and some campsites on the right side of the road), road continues to the top of the pass at mile 14.3.

The Grays Creek route itself is more complicated to describe than to follow. You basically follow a trail that goes up the creek, crossing it a few times, then turn left up a side gorge at a fairly obvious place not far below timberline; this takes you into the bottom of the Armchair cirque, from which you just bushwack left or right depending on which ridge you want to climb (left/East ridge is easier, at least when it's snow-free, but the right/NE ridge is interesting and not too tough). Note carefully where you entered the cirque, so you can go down the right gully on the way out, but it's probably hard to get lost since the cirque funnels right into Grays Creek no matter where you go.

The side of the East ridge facing the cirque is steep and faces north, and probably holds a lot of snow this time of year, so might have some avalanche danger. For this reason, I guess it might be safer to do the west ridge from the pass right now, if you can get there, or to get onto the east ridge below timberline someplace.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

In case anyone is interested:
I finally got up to Mt Ouray (from Grays Creek). I have no doubt the road is clear all the way to the pass.

The snow is melting fast in the Devils Arm Chair, not sure there is enough snow or good enough conditions to make a decent day of skiing off the summit. There were some continuous lines off the summit and ridge, but not nearly enough to make it all the way to the car.

I have a few pics if anyone wants to see them. I doubt there will be enough snow by this weekend.

CO Native:
We took 2 readings on the summit, with 2 separate GPS units:
1. 13970
2. 13977
:(

I did not set the units on a rock for 10 mins or so, as you asked...I was too enamoured with the views and forgot. Sorry. The readings were taken as we walked around and took pics.

Regardless of the altitude, I'm very impressed with the mountain, a very worthy trek! We went up the north "arm" and came down the south "arm" and back into the bowl. Found some fun scrambling on the north "arm"!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Hey if it's not over 14k it's not. Interesting though, yours are by far the lowest I've heard someone report yet right about where posted elevation is. Thanks for keeping me in mind.

It's a beautiful mountain and a fun climb, glad you had a good trip. I did it from Marshall Pass, but would like to return and do both arms as you did.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Please post the pics! I'd love to see the Antora group looking south and north towards Shavano.
Tempelton
14ers: 52 
13ers: 92
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Tempelton »

Me too on those pics, I might head there in the next couple of days.
IHikeLikeAGirl
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Ok, I'll post some tonight when I get home.
- Steven Wright
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Haven't summited Ouray myself: can you see Antora (to the south) AND Antero (to the north)?

Maybe the jury is still out for GPS users summiting Ouray, and possibly Stewart Peak. Another recent thread related one party's plans for Stewart so maybe a recent GPS reading may arrive from there as well.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
IHikeLikeAGirl
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

The jury is definitely still out. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in my $100 etrex GPS, it often reads lower than I really am (sometimes by as much as 50' or more). Not sure about the accuracy of my partner's unit (let it go :wink: ). I just found it quite coincidental that we both had readings close to the listed altitude. Maybe we're both off by the same amount? :)

What does it take to get a peak resurveyed?

As to what I could see from the peak...I'm not sure what all I was looking at, but one sure could see forever from up there. Very hazy though so, I may not have taken pictures of all the peaks due to the haze.
- Steven Wright
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Keep in mind that all these handheld GPS use a barometric altimeter.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The etrex doesn't (according to Garmin's specs), so it must be using the GPS for elevation, which has a big error range (100' or so). We hiked Pikes Peak with one of these last year, and after hanging around the summit a while it had the elevation almost right (within 10'), but when we first arrived it was about 30' low.

And another vote for pictures! Did you need any snow gear (ice axe, gaiters)? I'm thinking this might make a good "season opener" sometime soon. :D
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
IHikeLikeAGirl
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Definitely a great season opener! Especially if you don't wish to haul a lot of snow gear. :D

Didn't use, nor need snowshoes. There were the typical 2-3' deep sections of rotten snow in the trees, but most were avoidable or only required 2-10 steps of postholing before hitting dry ground again. If you descend the southern arm (east ridge) and stay on the ridge longer and you could avoid even more of it, but then you miss the cool bristlecone pine trees!

Took crampons, but they never left my pack.

Used my ice axe for the last pitch to the summit from the N ridge/arm, but it was not necessary. The snow was soft enough by 9:30a to kick in really well and most of the snowfields were either short or avoidable.

I wore gaitors, my partner did not (even though he had them). He regretted that as he had some pretty soggy feet by the time we got back to the TH.

There were some glissading opps, but (for our route), it wasn't worth the hassle of stopping to don the shell pants.

Also, the trees were budding and just starting to sprout leaves, by next weekend, the aspens should be nice and filled out!

Enjoy if you go!
- Steven Wright