Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Indian Peak Ski Decents

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Indian Peak Ski Decents

Postby Cthulhu 2008 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:34 pm

Has anyone been up to Brainard Lake recently? We are thinking of heading up there soon for some backcountry and wonder if there are any update regarding conditions or the dryness of the road. We are thinking a bike might be handy if there isn't much snow.

Thanks.
Cthulhu 2008 - Why Vote For A Lesser Evil

Re: Indian Peak Ski Decents

Postby RestlessLegSyndrome » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Here's a trip report from one of my buddies lately: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... p?t=153507

Postby Kruck » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:40 am

Last weekend it snowed and made everything look white, but in reality the pavement's just below the surface in most places. As usual, the drifts are patchy. It is flat-out road biking in some places and 6-foot drifts in others, depending on the aspect. The road from the Brainard Lake Road to the Mitchell and Long Lake THs is very patchy, with a tendency toward drifting. This week's been cold, so I imagine conditions are similar currently.

Take the bike. If/when you need to ditch it, lock it to a tree or stash it.
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper

Postby ScottN » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:44 am

It looks depressingly dry up there. I wonder what the west side of IPW looks like.

Postby Oman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:24 am

ScottN wrote:It looks depressingly dry up there. I wonder what the west side of IPW looks like.

West side: Scoured up high, glazed in unshaded areas down low. In the valley we had so much melt last week that our middle son found two arrows that he had shot into a snowbank around Christmas.

Postby Cthulhu 2008 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:59 pm

Thanks for the info! The trip report helped a lot too. Can't believe how little snow we have this year.

It's either IPW this weekend or mountain biking in Buffalo Creek... good stuff either way. :D
Cthulhu 2008 - Why Vote For A Lesser Evil