Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Storm peak route question

Colorado 13er peak questions, condition requests and other info, including topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports, Condition Reports

Storm peak route question

Postby zeroload » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:50 pm

I am looking at doing storm peak and all the route info I have found is from the keyhole to the summit and then skirt down the east slope home. Obviously I know to just head up the east slopes to the summit from the boulder field. Just wondering if anyone has done this climb and has some advise on picking a good line to the summit. Trying to keep it at a low class climb as I am just getting used to these winter climbs.

Any advise?

Thanks
Z

Re: Storm peak route question

Postby Kiefer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:29 pm

I climbed Storm Peak via the east Slopes in late November a couple years ago. I switchbacked a lot linking the rocks b/c the snow was so crappy.
It wasn't hard just consistantly moderately angled. If the snow is good, it would be a delightful climb. If it's dry, which it probably is going to be right now, expect A LOT of postholing. :x Having a pair of poles with you would be invaluable.
Couple of pics from my trip:
View of the East Slope
View of Longs from just below the summit.

Postby StevieTwoShoes » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:53 am

I hiked Storm via the east slope in late May last year and wish I had taken my crampons and ax. There were a couple of snowfields toward the top that would have made for a nice, short snow climb to the summit. Instead, I worked around the snow and came upon the summit from the southeast. I would suggest examining it once you get to the boulderfield, or just below; the most obvious route will more than likely reveal itself. Enjoy, it's a fun peak with great views of Longs and the rest of the Park.
"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education." -Wilson Mizner

Postby zeroload » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:08 am

Thanks guys! Thats what I was thinking. I have been up to the boulder field a few times this year and it had less snow than I expected. I have not needed my snoeshoes yet :D

Z