Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

james peak conditions?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

james peak conditions?

Postby ajkagy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:44 pm

Anybody have any updated pictures or conditions on james peak...is it skiable from the summit to the glacier?
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Re: james peak conditions?

Postby jfox » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:21 pm

I took this picture from Bancroft's East Ridge on Saturday, 1/31. I hope it helps. I'm not a skier, so I don't know what you're looking for. We saw two groups hiking up this slope that day. One group had a dog with them, that may tell you something about the conditions or not.
DSC01939.JPG
James Peak on 1/31/09
DSC01939.JPG (217.15 KiB) Viewed 564 times

Postby jfox » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:25 pm

I found another one that may help:
DSC01959.JPG
Plateau above St. Marys Glacier on 1/31/09
DSC01959.JPG (159.21 KiB) Viewed 520 times

This shot is a view from the SE ridge on Bancroft looking NE past the East Ridge and across the plateau above the glacier. Mt. Thorodin in Golden Gate Canyon SP can be seen way off in the distance.
I don't think there is much snow at all above the glacier...it looked pretty darn rocky to me and made me glad that I parked at the Loch Lomond TH instead.

Postby beazleys » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Climbed James Peak on Sunday. You'd be hard pressed to put together a line of continuous snow from the summit to Jamaica Flats. A lot of thin spots with vegetation and rocks coming through. I am not a skier so I cannot say much about snow conditions for skiing, but the snow on James had a hard crust and the snow on snow on the 'glacier' was bulletproof.

Hope that helps.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:33 pm

beazleys wrote:Climbed James Peak on Sunday. You'd be hard pressed to put together a line of continuous snow from the summit to Jamaica Flats. A lot of thin spots with vegetation and rocks coming through. I am not a skier so I cannot say much about snow conditions for skiing, but the snow on James had a hard crust and the snow on snow on the 'glacier' was bulletproof.

Hope that helps.

For a non-skier this is pretty damn good.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com