American Peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Prairie Native
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

American Peak?

Post by Prairie Native »

I am deciding on some couloir climbs for this spring and want to get in an amazing place that could be comparable in views as the bells. I would also like a decently challenging route (length and steepness above 30 degrees preferred). Ive seen some cool pictures of American Peak on SP but cant find route details anywhere. Anyone have info on this peak/routes?
Something witty.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: American Peak?

Post by d_baker »

Kiefer has a page for the Victory couloir on SP.
http://www.summitpost.org/route/304833/ ... uloir.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a ski report here on 14ers from last summer too.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ec=0&ski=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've climbed the Patriot couloir. Short and not very steep.
I want to go back for the others, maybe this spring/summer.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Roach's Guide to the High 13ers describes routes up the north facing couloirs, Traitor, Independence, Patriot, and Victory.
American.small.JPG
American.small.JPG (194.14 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
The Independence couloir on the 4th of July had a nice ring to it a couple of years ago. Independence is the prominent couloir left of the buttress in the center of the picture.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Prairie Native
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Prairie Native »

Are these climbs ones that you guys would recommend? how steep/long are they? It looks like a pretty area is it nice in person? whats the Trailhead/approach length?
Something witty.
Prairie Native
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Prairie Native »

By the way thanks for the link to keifers page, very nice write up.
Something witty.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

Prairie Native wrote:Are these climbs ones that you guys would recommend? how steep/long are they? It looks like a pretty area is it nice in person? whats the Trailhead/approach length?
What rijaca said, Gerry Roach's 13er book covers several of those couloirs. When heading up Handies (assuming you park at the 4WD trailhead) I want to say the approach was maybe 2 - 2.5 miles? Where you turn up for Handies was maybe .5 mile shy of the couloir bases.

If heading up in May/June, you may have to start from way further back causing for a much further approach.
As a side note: American Peak was the unofficial name until I made it official. My 2nd peak naming to date.
Prairie Native
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Prairie Native »

Must be cool to say that you have named a peak. What process makes it official? Which other one did you name? Hmm...hopefully the approach isn't too bad. Last year I went to the Bells before they had unlocked the gate. Added quite a bit more mileage. Especially in plastic boots #-o . Then when we came back down 3 days later we were met by the mobs and not offered a ride back to the car :( . Course i don't know if i wanted me in MY car. My feet blistered a considerable amount with the non-broke in plastics too. Live and Learn.
Something witty.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

You simply fill out a form online on the USGS BGN page. The BGN then goes through a lengthy process soliciting feedback from the local public, county and state officials to see if any objections exist. They then approve it on an agenda for a board meeting vote and then simply vote yes or no. Then you get an official letter from the USGS signed by head Roger Payne. Jennifer Runyon at the board is a great person to work with.