Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter hiking around Taos, NM??

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: Winter hiking around Taos, NM??

Postby jfox » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:55 pm

I don't want to hijack your thread here dude, but I'm heading down to NM for the first time the weekend of 2/6 - 2/8. Taking the fam for a bit of a vaca to Santa Fe. If anyone is familiar with the place, things not to be missed, see/do, please let me know here, or in a pm/email so as not to crunk-up the OP's thread. We'll have a 2.5 y.o. with us so anything kid friendly would help. Thanks![/hijack]

Postby MtHurd » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:14 pm

I am not sure there would anything for a 2.5 year old, but if you and your wife like arts and shopping, there is tons of it there. The Plaza in downtown is probably where you can start as the native American's have lots of jewerly to sell. Put your bargaining hat on and brush up your negotiation skills.

See this link also.

Postby MtHurd » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:47 pm

Here are the pics from the La Junta trail in the Wild Rivers Recreation Area. Hopefully it's not too late.

La Junta Point from the bottom of the canyon.

Flag Mountain (elev. 11,946) from the La Junta trail.

3 of the Latir Peaks from the La Junta Point parking lot.

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:41 pm

jfox wrote:I don't want to hijack your thread here dude, but I'm heading down to NM for the first time the weekend of 2/6 - 2/8. Taking the fam for a bit of a vaca to Santa Fe. If anyone is familiar with the place, things not to be missed, see/do, please let me know here, or in a pm/email so as not to crunk-up the OP's thread. We'll have a 2.5 y.o. with us so anything kid friendly would help. Thanks![/hijack]

Jeff,
This thread could use the bump, even if it's a hijack...
I lived in SF for several years. What are you guys into?
The list of "can't miss" restaurants, museums, scenic drives, etc., is long. I'd be happy to help.
Since you live in Colorado, Trader Joe's is a must, though not really a tourist attraction.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby ethangage » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:07 pm

del_sur wrote:Since you live in Colorado, Trader Joe's is a must, though not really a tourist attraction.

Agreed! So sad that there isn't a Trader Joe's in Colorado (yet).

There are a ton of great places to eat around the town. Blue Corn Cafe is one I've hit a couple of times and liked.

Postby Starwanderer » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:23 pm

A couple of great winter hikes around Taos both begin at the Taos ski area. You can climb Wheeler Peak either by going up the canyon to Williams Lake and doing a direct climb up Wheeler, or take the easier "Bull of the woods" trail along the gently sloping north ridge. Either way you get to climb NM's highest peak, a 13er, and to do it in winter is kewl. Or you can do Gold Hill, to the northeast of the ski basin, but plan on using snow shoes if there is snow. More solitude on the Gold Hill trail.

A great restaurant in Santa Fe is Tomasita's, the old train station downtown. $$ and muy bueno. Or try La Turtulia.
Starwanderer
A few of my climb pics are on my website- http://www.starwanderer.com

Previous