Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dyer West Ridge

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Dyer West Ridge

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:39 pm

I've searched for info, but keep coming up with different information...I'm planning on trying out the west ridge route up dyer sometime this week (depending on weather) and descending the iowa amphitheater route (SE ridge? I forget...but making a clockwise route). Roach describes the ridge as .4 miles of class 3 scrambling, SP says class 4, some people ive spoke to say 2+. From what I have seen of it (climbed Dyer from Gemini a couple years ago from Leavick) it didnt seem too crazy, but that was from afar. I'm planning on taking someone that I've had a history of "underplaying" the route difficulties before on other mountains, just dont want to tick her off again. Any info for this? Or opinions/comparisons for class? I'm going for sure, just need to know if my partner will join or not...

Thanks!

--Derek
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Re: Dyer West Ridge

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:20 am

If you stay on the ridge crest the entire way it is class 4. That is how we climbed it when we did it. There are a few towers you have to go over that have some 4th class. The rock was good and only one downclimb was a little tricky, you should definitely lead so you can help your partner find the holds on that one downclimb, they were a little hard to see from above, if you were below her you could probably coach her better than if she had to search for them "blind".

From reading Roach's description, his class 3 route avoids the 4th class towers by using some gullies. The gullies looked loose and not too fun so we stayed on the crest.

The descent is class 2 talus from the Dyer-Gemini saddle back to the mining road. Enjoy!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Re: Dyer West Ridge

Postby Derek » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:15 am

Thank for the info! I'll probably head up there friday morning and give it a shot. If weather turns out to be too iffy for the ridge, I'll just head up a standard route.
I'll throw on a report when I get back.

thanks again

-Derek
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ