Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Beginner Hiking

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: Beginner Hiking

Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:58 am

Nice easy hike near Denver is always Chief Mountain off Squaw Pass. Nice view of Evans and gets them above the trees a bit. It's not long at all.

Postby FCSquid » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:00 am

You might want to take them up to Elk Meadows between 1-70 and Evergreen. If you take the long route, you can summit Bergen Peak. It's about 10 miles around, roughly 2500 - 3000 ft of elevation gain, and I think the summit of Bergen Peak is around 10,000 and change. It's a good long hike without getting too high up in elevation.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby Boogieman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:07 am

It's a little on the short side but Dear Mtn. in RMNP was a cool little hike I took a couple of friends on. I think it's 6 miles round trip with right around 1800ft of gain. Plus great views of Longs Peak and RMNP.

Postby dudejermo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:20 am

Herman’s Gulch up I-70 towards Eisenhower Tunnel is a nice hike.

Postby larkinrx2 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:33 am

cant think of the name of it but just north of Boulder there is a foothills trail that crosses under 36 and goes up to the ridge of the foothill then comes back down, nice loop esp this time of year when your not cooking!!!!
go just north of boulder towards lyons, when you pass the developement on your left that looks like a drive in theater out front there is a dirt road on the right, about a mile up you will see the parking lot. nice hike with some gain, prarie dogs in the low spot just after going under the road, and easy access to bust it down to golden for the coors tour afterwards!!!
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby mt_turtle » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:01 pm

Twin Sisters was good, great view of Long's! That marmot almost scared my wife over the edge, watch him!
Distance: 3.7 miles one-way
Summit elevation: 11,428 feet
Trailhead elevation: 9,000 feet
Net elevation gain: 2,428 feet
Twin Sisters Trailhead
Rocky Mountain National Park
and Roosevelt National Forest
twin sisters.jpg
twin sisters.jpg (72.53 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Psalms 65:5-6 By awesome deeds You answer us in righteousness, O God of our salvation, You who are the trust of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest sea; Who establishes the mountains by His strength, Being girded with might;

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:05 pm

I've quickly become a big fan of Roxborough State Park since I first went there this spring. Awesomely beautiful and well-preserved place, IMO, and it has a few loop hikes that might fit the bill. As a bonus, it's pretty low altitude also.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby hamerhokie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:44 pm

Estes Cone also, right near the Twin Sisters. Don't know which of the two is easier but the elevation gain and summit altitude are similar.

Postby airhog794 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:48 pm

Browns Pass trail. To the pass on the way to Mt. Yale. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL HIKE. Near Buena Vista. Get about 12.1 or 12.2 on elevation. Easy, but long about 10 miles roundtrip.

Postby elkheart22 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:07 pm

I always have the same standard reply on these questions: Boreas Mountain, from the top
of Boreas Pass. Afterwards get a burger & beer @ Erics or the Brewery in Breck.....
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:29 pm

Jim Davies wrote:I've quickly become a big fan of Roxborough State Park since I first went there this spring. Awesomely beautiful and well-preserved place, IMO, and it has a few loop hikes that might fit the bill. As a bonus, it's pretty low altitude also.

I love it too, but watch out for the poison ivy. If you are severely allergic to it (like I am), you can look forward to VERY swolen feet and ankles & a rash that looks more like a chemical burn. Made for a very unpleaant last two weeks of July. But yes, very good hikes there.

I recommend St Mary's Glacier as a nice place to poke around--you can walk up the glacier to Jamaica for a longer hike. And anything in RMNP--for out of towners, that would be the place to go, especially with the elk rut coming up. Glacier Gorge to Mill's Lake is one of the best hikes in the state and not *too* strenuous.
Hiking guide to RMNP:
http://www.rocky.mountain.national-park.com/hike.htm
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby coloradolaurie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:14 pm

I'm also a big fan of Roxborough - in particular Carpenter Peak which gives you wonderful views. Another place I haven't seen mentioned is Golden Gate Canyon. Lots of really beautiful trails, not too far out of the city.

Next