Name These Beauties

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
monghetti
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Name These Beauties

Post by monghetti »

After a second year of labor day weekend camping at Willow Lakes in the Gore Range, I was wondering if anyone new the names of these peaks. The first year I was here I was blown away by the scenery and this year I just wanted to climb the peaks. Anyone have any idea of their names? Ever climbed them? The hike in is about 6 miles northwest of Silverthorne. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_4478.jpg
IMG_4478.jpg (15.91 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Name These Beauties

Post by traderaaron »

I believe they aren't individual peaks but are collectively known as the Zodiac Spires.
Layne Bracy
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 179 9
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Layne Bracy »

Your photo is of the Zodiac Spires, unranked summits along the ridge between Red Pk to the south and Mt Silverthorne to the north. I don't know anything about climbing them but assume they are technical.

Here is a reference for the peaks in the quad - you can click to locate the individual spires or to get a map of all the summits.

Willow Lakes Quad

Here is a photo by SteamboatClimber on summitpost showing the ridge in your photo but from the west, so the summits appear transposed:

monghetti
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by monghetti »

Thanks Traderaaron and Layne. Looking forward to a bit more research on the ridge and surrounding 13ers!
thejourneyishome
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thejourneyishome »

I'd recommend looking in the guidebook "Mountaineering in the Gore Range" by Joseph D. Kramarsic. He describes all the zodiac spires and has some basic route info. There's everything from class 2 to 5th class available on them. I'd suggest heading to the AAC library in Golden to look at the book, but uh, I currently have it checked out. . .

-adam