Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Name These Beauties

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Name These Beauties

Postby monghetti » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:30 pm

After a second year of labor day weekend camping at Willow Lakes in the Gore Range, I was wondering if anyone new the names of these peaks. The first year I was here I was blown away by the scenery and this year I just wanted to climb the peaks. Anyone have any idea of their names? Ever climbed them? The hike in is about 6 miles northwest of Silverthorne. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_4478.jpg
IMG_4478.jpg (15.91 KiB) Viewed 1359 times

Re: Name These Beauties

Postby traderaaron » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:02 pm

I believe they aren't individual peaks but are collectively known as the Zodiac Spires.

Postby Layne Bracy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:05 pm

Your photo is of the Zodiac Spires, unranked summits along the ridge between Red Pk to the south and Mt Silverthorne to the north. I don't know anything about climbing them but assume they are technical.

Here is a reference for the peaks in the quad - you can click to locate the individual spires or to get a map of all the summits.

Willow Lakes Quad

Here is a photo by SteamboatClimber on summitpost showing the ridge in your photo but from the west, so the summits appear transposed:

Postby monghetti » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:27 pm

Thanks Traderaaron and Layne. Looking forward to a bit more research on the ridge and surrounding 13ers!

Postby thejourneyishome » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:46 pm

I'd recommend looking in the guidebook "Mountaineering in the Gore Range" by Joseph D. Kramarsic. He describes all the zodiac spires and has some basic route info. There's everything from class 2 to 5th class available on them. I'd suggest heading to the AAC library in Golden to look at the book, but uh, I currently have it checked out. . .

-adam