Is it possible to hike up Ogalalla Peak from StVrainGlac

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Is it possible to hike up Ogalalla Peak from StVrainGlac

Post by jibler »

I'm pouring over google earth and maps i can find on the web but I just can't be sure if it is possible to get up Ogalalla (or any surrounding heights) from the valley around the St Vrain glaciers. Mind you without doing anything technical....

Also if anyone knows/has pics of current conditions around there that would be cool too
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
viejo
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Is it possible to hike up Ogalalla Peak from StVrainGlac

Post by viejo »

I don't have any current beta. Some of the snow fields can take you up if they're still in good condition, but would be an ice axe/crampon routine. You can scramble to the saddle between Elk Tooth and Ogalalla and get up that way. It goes a fairly solid 4th class. There's no marked routes that I'm aware of.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I hiked up Ogalalla Peak from Wild Basin in RMNP last Friday. We hiked the north slope (and some of the east ridge) of Ouzel then traversed the easy 1.3-1.4 tundra walk to Ogalalla. It's all class 1/2. It was approximately 18.4 miles round trip. This will probably be faster than the Middle St Vrain way, unless you have a 4wd and can chop off a few miles that way.

From the top of Ogalalla, I took a good look around. The Ogalalla Express is a potential route. It is rated as class 2, but it seemed too loose to be fun. Personally, I would opt to climb Elk Tooth and then do the class 3/4 ridge traverse. SummitPost, Gerry Roach's IPW book, and Lisa Foster's RMNP book all have good descriptions of the ridge.

My pics of the Ogalalla area didn't come out at all (camera problems). The closest one I got was the Elk Tooth-Ogalalla ridge from Ouzel:
Elk Tooth/Ogalalla Peak ridge  from Ouzel Peak
Elk Tooth/Ogalalla Peak ridge from Ouzel Peak
ElkTooth-OgalallaRidge.jpg (81.82 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

I've done the Elk Tooth/Ogallala combo from Middle St Vrain, it's a nice scramble with no one around. Ogallala is class 3 if you are good at route finding, but getting into class 4 terrain is pretty easy to do. One can also just climb Ogallala from Middle St Vrain. One word, a 4wd with HIGH clearance is needed to drive up this road, we tried in a Tacoma and actually hit rocks within the first 100ft, though after that the road gets much better. It's a long walk in if you don't have a high clearance vehicle.
Elk Tooth/Ogallala album

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

Thanks for the tips.

I've never been to the end of the valley there with the glaciers, but I know me and and some point I'm going to want to punch up and get to the top of something.

So when you say middle st vrain...you're talking that broad sloped mtn between buchanan pass and the st vrain glacier area right?

I can't seem to see a nice route up elk tooth from the south-southeast. Maybe I need to keep looking...
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

Also, with that pic...are you saying it is the second ridge back?

I might be getting vertigo just looking at it!
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

I'm thinking I might just try to hit elk tooth...but I'm still wondering.
Is this the 'ogalalla express on the left side of the shot here? (sorry for bad posting skills if it doesn't come out right)

12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Yes, it's the 2nd ridge back. I think TheBeave7's pics give a better reflection of the truer nature of the ridge than mine does.

Thanks, theBeave7, for all the beta when I was out there last week!

Yes, Ogalalla Express is on the left. Not sure what the exact route is.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

I'm impressed with myself...that's the 1st time i've sucessfully posted a pic! (it helps that this site makes it easier)

I'm doing either elk's tooth or possibly starting further back along the divide and just going as far along as I can with the hope of hitting ogalalla if I can. Thanks again.
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Jibler! congrats, you did a fine job posting my photo!!! :wink: Just came across this thread, hope my Summitpost page helped inspire you to climb this remote peak. One day I'll go back.

How did that Elk Tooth climb turn out?