Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

White Rock Mountain, Crested Butte

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

White Rock Mountain, Crested Butte

Postby so_il_summit » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:21 pm

I'm in Gunnison now, and wanted to take the bus up to CB, and climb this 13er. I was wondering if anyone could give me some good beta on this peak, and a possible traverse over to white mountain and wsc peak.

Let me know if you have any info or if you want to hit this route with me in the next few days.

Re: White Rock Mountain, Crested Butte

Postby sanjuanmtneer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:45 pm

There's a good trip report on fourteenerworld.com by Gary Swing of White Rock and White Benchmark (#3201).
I did White Rock several years ago and didn't like it. It seemed to have lots of large loose boulders on it. I was uncomfortable most of the way down from the summit until I got to easier terrain. Might have just been a bad day. I didn't do White Benchmark then, so if I decide I need to, will have to go back.
Gary's report is much more recent than when I was there, but I took wading shoes for Copper Creek (because I had been there earlier and knew I'd want them). As I recall, the first crossing was too wide for any log and had to be wadded.
And my mind is made up,
To climb all the mountains,
Before my body's laid up,
And the night advances.
And the time is here.
(With deference to John Dillon)

Postby Kevin Baker » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:30 pm

You might send SarahT a PM. She just climbed both of these last week. I was in the Copper Creek basin for the Precarious group and the first stream crossing wasn't too bad, although we did use our sandals on the way up. I think you have to drop off the ridge to White BM to keep it at class 3.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby Furthermore » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:06 pm

Has there been reports of White BM and White Rock from Brush Creek? I though I remember someone doing those two from that basin. Looks like a shorter option?