West Spanish Peak Trip Report

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rikrun1210
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (3)

West Spanish Peak Trip Report

Post by Rikrun1210 »

I failed my attempt to summit West Spanish Peak however added a trip report. I was solo and felt that the route became more than I wanted to attempt. I would say that camping would be smart on this route and for my level a partner would be advised. One could easily summit from the Cordova Pass route but this is a difficult route. See trip report.
"No" is usually just a request for more information!
GW Duncan
14ers: 42 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: West Spanish Peak Trip Report

Post by GW Duncan »

Rikerrun,

Thanks for posting the TR - everytime I drive in to CO I think, hmmm, I really should stop off and climb WSP sometime. I think I will go the Cordova Pass route, but was wondering if there was any particular reason you chose this route over the Cordova Pass route?
"At first, nothing happened, then after a moment, nothing continued to happen." Douglas Adams
Rikrun1210
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Rikrun1210 »

There does not seem to be much info on this route which led me to beleive that not many have tried it. I did not see one person on the trail nor much evidence that this route is taken much. I saw six cow elk from 5:45 - 7:00 and bear tracks on a wet portion of the trail. It will be a real challange to summit WSP when I go back.
GW Duncan wrote:Rikerrun,

Thanks for posting the TR - everytime I drive in to CO I think, hmmm, I really should stop off and climb WSP sometime. I think I will go the Cordova Pass route, but was wondering if there was any particular reason you chose this route over the Cordova Pass route?
"No" is usually just a request for more information!
YEONDERIN
14ers: 50 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by YEONDERIN »

Thanks for taking the time to do a TR. I have been wanting to do both of the SP from this route as I love the ‘road less traveled’. I also can’t find much helpful info about these peaks, guess that’s why they attract me. I’ll try to share something when I do them.
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)
scottrappold
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by scottrappold »

Here's an article I wrote in June on these wonderful mountains: http://www.gazette.com/articles/peaks-5 ... rness.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YEONDERIN
14ers: 50 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by YEONDERIN »

Scott,
Thanks for both the article and TR, good job. They sound like my kind of place so hope that my yeonderin will take me there soon.
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)