James Peak Parking now is PAY PARKING

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
smitchell333
Trip Reports (0)

James Peak Parking now is PAY PARKING

Post by smitchell333 »

Went up to tour James Peak on Saturday. As soon as we pulled in the traditional parking lot we were approached by a guy claiming to be the new owner of the land and told he was going to develop the property next year and that we now had to pay $5 to park there.

Since its traditionally been free it ticked me off a bit and we left to go elsewhere.

I'm sure he's within his rights, if he is the property owner, but its kinda lame IMO.
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: James Peak Parking now is PAY PARKING

Post by yorksman »

Its been a while since I was up there, how easy was it to find alternate parking?
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

Yeah, too bad. It would have been nice if that parking had been owned by BLM and made official. I was wondering about alternative parking there myself. Seems pretty scarce.
smitchell333
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smitchell333 »

I'm not sure there IS any alternative parking. I'm pretty sure the road is off limits as is typical for county roads due to plowing and I dont know where else you'd park.

We left and toured Mt Wood near Mt Parnassus/by Jones pass instead.
ocomik
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ocomik »

smitchell333 wrote:Went up to tour James Peak on Saturday. As soon as we pulled in the traditional parking lot we were approached by a guy claiming to be the new owner of the land and told he was going to develop the property next year and that we now had to pay $5 to park there.

Since its traditionally been free it ticked me off a bit and we left to go elsewhere.

I'm sure he's within his rights, if he is the property owner, but its kinda lame IMO.
Hate to be the cynic but are you sure he was on the up and up?
I'm a member of the Marmot Protection Society. Are you?
smitchell333
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smitchell333 »

ocomik wrote:Hate to be the cynic but are you sure he was on the up and up?
No. But he had a plat showing the property. He was parked in a jeep with snow plow. It pissed me off so I just left rather than inquire further.
fiddlinclimber
14ers: 26  10 
13ers: 36 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by fiddlinclimber »

What parking lot is that? Not the one at the trailhead to St. Mary's "Glacier" is it?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Suck to pay, but at least he's only asking for $5 instead of the $250 for Culebra.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
smitchell333
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smitchell333 »

fiddlinclimber wrote:What parking lot is that? Not the one at the trailhead to St. Mary's "Glacier" is it?

Yes precisely
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Scott P wrote:Suck to pay, but at least he's only asking for $5 instead of the $250 for Culebra.
Did they raise the price on Culebra? I thought it was still $100.
Merlin6803
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Merlin6803 »

Please pardon my ignorance, but if you are talking about the James Peak I go to, I go to Rolinsville and park at the moffit tunnel, It's on the other side of the divide from where I think you're talking about, but again, I could be on a different mountain all-together. Great hiking up there though.
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

cheeseburglar wrote:
Scott P wrote:Suck to pay, but at least he's only asking for $5 instead of the $250 for Culebra.
Did they raise the price on Culebra? I thought it was still $100.
I may have just soiled myself... $250 now? Any confirmation of this increase?

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."