James Peak Parking now is PAY PARKING

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

Re: James Peak Parking now is PAY PARKING

Post by stevevets689 »

Yeah, I climbed James on Sunday with a friend and saw the same thing. But like Scott said, it's only $5, it could be much worse. The guy said he planned on expanding parking space which is why he was charging. I didn't see it as a big deal, honestly.

$250 for Culebra, on the other hand, now that scares me... :shock:
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Merlin6803 wrote:Please pardon my ignorance, but if you are talking about the James Peak I go to, I go to Rolinsville and park at the moffit tunnel, It's on the other side of the divide from where I think you're talking about, but again, I could be on a different mountain all-together. Great hiking up there though.
Same James Peak, different TH (SW slopes route). The route you mention is definitely a nice outing, though quite a bit longer.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Can anyone confirm the $250 for Culebra? Not that I don't believe Scott, I just can't find any other mention of a price increase. :shock:
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
tweak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tweak »

Heck, we might've been there when that happened.
I suppose that the owner does keep it nicely plowed, and he says he's planning on expanding the lot (which it desperately needs), but it is still annoying, and it's probably something that we'll see more and more.
smitchell333
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smitchell333 »

stevevets689 wrote:Yeah, I climbed James on Sunday with a friend and saw the same thing. But like Scott said, it's only $5, it could be much worse. The guy said he planned on expanding parking space which is why he was charging. I didn't see it as a big deal, honestly.

I see it as a slippery slope to commercialize the situation.

Until now it was always free to park and hike/ski St Mary's and James Peak

Suddenly its $5 - no "big deal"

Next year its $15 - no "big deal"?

The next its $30 - no "big deal"??

Who knows where it ends - $250????, $50 w/ Shuttle parking in Idaho Springs?.

I hope the CMC can work out a deal as it's a shame to see a historic trailhead go commercial like this.
covfrrider
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by covfrrider »

smitchell333 wrote:
stevevets689 wrote:Yeah, I climbed James on Sunday with a friend and saw the same thing. But like Scott said, it's only $5, it could be much worse. The guy said he planned on expanding parking space which is why he was charging. I didn't see it as a big deal, honestly.

I see it as a slippery slope to commercialize the situation.

Until now it was always free to park and hike/ski St Mary's and James Peak

Suddenly its $5 - no "big deal"

Next year its $15 - no "big deal"?

The next its $30 - no "big deal"??

Who knows where it ends - $250????, $50 w/ Shuttle parking in Idaho Springs?.

I hope the CMC can work out a deal as it's a shame to see a historic trailhead go commercial like this.
Maybe the new skier monorail can loop up past there... :D
Last edited by covfrrider on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Can anyone confirm the $250 for Culebra? Not that I don't believe Scott, I just can't find any other mention of a price increase
Apparently the winter fee is now $250. :shock: Someone should confirm, but that's what we heard from someone who was climbing it yesterday (14ers.com member).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

Scott P wrote:
Can anyone confirm the $250 for Culebra? Not that I don't believe Scott, I just can't find any other mention of a price increase
Apparently the winter fee is now $250. :shock: Someone should confirm, but that's what we heard from someone who was climbing it yesterday (14ers.com member).
Yep, uhuh... I DID just soil myself...

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
DaveZ311
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveZ311 »

Approach from Rollinsville and either park at the Moffat Tunnel or go up Mammoth Gulch Rd on Apex mountain in the summer.
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

Wow...

I actually thought that the one useable parking lot up there in St Marys was either public, or granted public access by some sort of easment (god knows it is tough enough to keep up on things in that neighborhood). I know the Forest Service in Idaho Springs has openly claimed that they do have an "official" TH up there, but they flip-flop a bit when asked about the access issue. Nevertheless, I thought that the one small parking lot there was public-ish!

I'm glad I read this post, because I won't be going that way anymore. I'm tired of the commercialization of our mountains, and I'm not about to pay some guy $5 for the privelage of parking at a National Forest TH (If there truly is no public parking/access to the public trailhead, then the forest service should have solved this problem years ago, in my not-so-humble opinion).
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

A second thought:

As a cynical law enforcement officer, I wonder about the validity of this guy's claims in the first place...

Can anyone confirm whether or not this land is privately held, and (if so) whether or not the true owner is implementing a parking fee?

Parking scams are common in the city (where someone will claim to own a lot and charge people to park there... thereby illegally collecting revenue off of someone else's land). Is it possible that this is what was happening up there?

If not, I think this guy is an idiot for taking this sort of tactic without also posting signs at a lot that has been publicly used for many many years. Also, what was that deal with "adverse possession" case out of Boulder earlier this year? Could this land now be considered public domain, given that it has been used as such for as long as I can recall?

(If memory serves, I think I've been parking in that particular lot at least since as far back as about 1998 or so, when I first discovered that area)
COJoe
Trip Reports (0)

Post by COJoe »

I might get scalded here... but...

If this guy is legit, and he is the property owner free and clear without any easments or previously agreed to stipulations on the use of the property and he is not interfeering with anothers rights or causing damage in some way to neighboring property then I think he should be able to do what he pleases. It is also a slippery sloap for government to step in and dictate uses of property (even though this is by far the norm-- we have allowed our personal liberties to be actioned off wholesale). Can you hear the underlying libertarian tones?

If it is his private property and you are using it and he is maintaining the lot from his private funds he has every right to charge. Perhaps it would have been more neighborly to request donations to help with upkeep...or there might have been other avenues he could have recieved funding through...

By the way... if he's only charging $5 a vehicle he will never raise enough for parking expantion let alone annual maintenance right? It does sound a bit shady to me 8) . And on another note...Down around Wrigley Field in Chicago guys will park you in someone's front lawn, you pay them, they take off, you come back and your car has been towed... I've seen some nasty arguments/fights down around there.