James Peak Parking now is PAY PARKING

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Re: James Peak Parking now is PAY PARKING

Post by glacierPaul »

Hello all,
The parking area is almost totally complete. I have the signs, and am waiting on the pay envelopes. I have 2 porta-potties, a 50 gallon trash and a 50 gallon recycle can, the dog waste bag dispenser, concrete is poured, a fence around the potties, fee pole and all the parking space poles, have put down recycled asphalt (need more too), and have started the erosion control process on the hill behind the parking area.
Had a responce to coloradokevin, the parking and 3/4 mile hike up is all private property, so there is(was) trash/feces pretty much from anywhere people parked all the way into FS lands. Since I have had the potties and trash/recycle, there has been an absolute difference made. I have the trash/recycle cans fill up every 6 days! And the potties are being used, and not by just my customers, as they are open to the public. And I do hike the trail weekly and pick up various stuff, as well as people bringing down stuff and telling me thanks for having the trash can. I even had a family of 5 all bring back about half a grocery bag each, of trash/water bottles, and I gave each of the kids $1 and refunded Dad his parking fee, they were in shock, but I told them this was the first time I have seen a "family" being pro-active together and I wanted to reinforce the lesson they were teaching their kids. I certainly think my venture is having alot to do with helping the situation up here.
I will post when the project is totally complete, for those interested in seeing the completed project!
Thanks, Paul
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Forgot to mention we had rain, hail, groppel, and SNOW yesterday and last night. This morning we are getting more hail, and rain. Winter is coming!!
Paul
gitsumpottery
Trip Reports (2)

Post by gitsumpottery »

I will make sure to park over on the Winter Park side from now on. Pay parking is ridiculous.
Who the heck is Dan Cheeseman?
Alpinista
14ers: 55 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpinista »

While my preference would be for the USFS to purchase the land, at least Paul is providing a service needed by both the local community and hikers/climbers, and I think it's reasonable for him to be compensated for providing that service. Given the issues with parking and waste in the area, a more common response would have been for someone to buy the lot and close it off entirely. I applaud Paul for taking a pro-active approach to solving the problem. He's also been spending a lot of his own time at the lot (granted to make sure the fee gets collected), but he's been very friendly and polite and excited to explain his plans for improving the lot. If the USFS had done this then farmed it out to a concessionaire (like Brainiard Lake) we definitely would be paying more. And again, MUCH better than one or more locals cutting off ALL access to public land and treating it like their private park or holding the public up for tens of millions of dollars.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

And again, MUCH better than one or more locals cutting off ALL access to public land and treating it like their private park or holding the public up for tens of millions of dollars.
Agreed. The parking fee seems reasonable for private land. I would much rather have a small parking fee than have access blocked like so many other property owners in Colorado do.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

Mr. Johnson,
Hey Paul! I hope you and your family are doing well. I parked at your lot a few weekends ago, and it was a pleasure to meet you! It wasn't finished yet when I visited, and I look forward to coming back sometime to see the progress, it sounds like it's gonna look great! Thanks so much for trying to take care of that beautiful area, it seems to me that you're doing a much better job of it than anyone else is.

Most Sincerely, George James :mrgreen:
mcfadden wrote:If you want to hike Lames Peak...
LAMES PEAK!?!? :x Now that's just not cool. I think that James Peak is awesome!
With a name like that, how could it not be!!! :mrgreen: :wink:
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

glacierPaul wrote:Hello all,
The parking area is almost totally complete. I have the signs, and am waiting on the pay envelopes. I have 2 porta-potties, a 50 gallon trash and a 50 gallon recycle can, the dog waste bag dispenser, concrete is poured, a fence around the potties, fee pole and all the parking space poles, have put down recycled asphalt (need more too), and have started the erosion control process on the hill behind the parking area.
Wow! Great work Paul, it has been a busy summer for you indeed. I was up there in June and got to talk to you for a bit after skiing James. I was encouraged by your proactive attitiude and am glad to see how far you have come in 2 months. You are definitely creating a new standard, and I hope other land owners follow your example. You definitely care about this area and it shows! Thanks! =D>

PS- George James, I agree, James Peak is anything but Lame, all anyone has to do is just climb one of the east facing couloirs to know that this mountain holds some challenging ascent (and descent :wink: ) lines!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Reminds me of the old saying:
There are no lame mountains, but there are lame climbers and they are really tough! - author unknown