Forum

Grizzly Peak North of Durango

Colorado 13er peak questions, condition requests and other info. 13er Trip Reports, Condition Reports

Grizzly Peak North of Durango

Postby kamiller43 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Anyone out there have some info about climbing the Grizzly Peak north of Durango? My understanding is that you turn in to Purgatory and drive for a while to a trailhead, continue on a trail to a moderate snow climb to the summit. Anyone been up there lately or have some beta? Thanks!

Re: Grizzly Peak North of Durango

Postby DaveLanders » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:29 pm

kamiller43 wrote:Anyone out there have some info about climbing the Grizzly Peak north of Durango? My understanding is that you turn in to Purgatory and drive for a while to a trailhead, continue on a trail to a moderate snow climb to the summit. Anyone been up there lately or have some beta? Thanks!

That's a nice concise summary of the route. The last time I was on that road to the trailhead it was really rough; lots of big potholes. 4wd not needed (the road isn't very steep),
but good clearance was an absolute must.

Re: Grizzly Peak North of Durango

Postby Furthermore » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Here is my report from climbing Grizzly last summer. Snow climbing Grizzly would be highly recommended due to the rock quality. Also, that drive is over an hour from Purgatory; that road is sloooowww.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12292&parmpeak=1040&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include