Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

top roping Boulder

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

top roping Boulder

Postby IronLionZion » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Hello! I have recently got into rock climbing and I have no partners to climb with!

I have only ever climbed inside, at North table mountain in Golden, and did the 3rd flatiron last weekend. I would love to find people to climb with up in Boulder Canyon or at Eldorado springs. I don't have a trad rack or quickdraws but I have a rope, harness and belay device. I can climb some 5.10a but I'm right on the edge of 5.9 and 5.10a and I want to get stronger by climbing and following more often. Weekends are probably best because I work until 5pm and its getting dark these days. I can also do Tuesday and Thursday mornings until 11. Let me know if you are interested! Thanks!
-Derek
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. Psalm 17:5

Re: top roping Boulder

Postby TallGrass » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:25 pm

I'd suggest adding the following to your gear:
* Set of quickdraws (BD's PosiWire 6-pack has key-lock noses for easier clipping and wires on the other biner)
* Helmet, double duty as you can use it on class 4 hikes and such
* Chalk bag and chalk ball/pouch
* Climbing shoes
* A couple nylon 60cm slings ($5-$7ea) and
* A couple narrow key-nose locking biners (e.g. BD Positron, $9ea) for a personal anchor when rigging or pulling a top rope
* 10' of 7mm cordlette (~$5)
* 10' of 1" tubular webbing (~$5)

Get FoTH and spend some time reading, practicing and learning how to lead, clean, anchor and more both at the climbing gym and from others. Practice, practice, practice because it's what's in your head on the rock versus what's in the book, in the car or at home that counts when climbing. Learn how to lower yourself from an cleaned bolted anchor (two ropes through your ATC with guy on ground on "fireman" belay) versus being lowered off a cleaned one by a belayer on the ground -- your rope will thank you. Develop the maxim that biners used on metal (e.g. anchors) never get used on rope: http://dmmclimbing.com/knowledge/carabiners-and-potential-rope-damage/ which is another reason to use a keynose+wiregate draw combo (and more interesting articles) Learn how to tie various knots, bends, bights, their uses, and so on (e.g. munter, klemheist, Prusik, 8, double 8, double 8 on a bight, flemish, water knot, triple fisherman, triple overhand, double overhand, etc.) and what their uses, strengths, and weaknesses are. Keep cordlette and webbing handy to practice tying throughout the day (while on hold at work, stuck at red light [tying while looking at traffic light not rope], watching TV, etc.) so they become second nature. Focus on one knot for a day or two then mix it up. Many outdoor retailers sell both by the foot. Consider picking your "signature color(s)" and sticking to them to make it easier to ID your gear as well as using tape and or nail polish to mark your hard gear (biners, biners of draws, ATC, ...). Learn how to belay with an 8, ATC, munter, Fireman, etc.

I know this does not help you find someone directly, but it will make you a better partner for someone else and in turn more likely to be hit up for climbing. Make yourself as "date-able" as possible. :oops: :lol:
Last edited by TallGrass on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby MountainMedic » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Derek,
I'm absolutely down for climbing on weekends. I'm pretty new to climbing myself but can lead 5.10a on a good day and would be happy to put up some fun routes in BC if you're comfortable lead belaying. Should be doing some stuff this weekend; possibly taking a friend new to climbing to Movement. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Tyler

Postby brendanmagee13 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:50 am

IronLionZion wrote:I don't have a trad rack or quick draws but I have a rope, harness and belay device. I can climb some 5.10a but I'm right on the edge of 5.9 and 5.10a

MountainMedic wrote:I'm pretty new to climbing myself but can lead 5.10a on a good day

Just curious but are these leads in the gym, sport or trad? I'm just asking because when I see something like new to climbing, don't have a rack but can lead 9's and 10a's I have to question what kind of leads. Gym, sport and trad climbing are all extremely different.

If you're looking for a good location to set up easy top ropes I recommend Nip & Tuck and Happy Hour. Both are in Boulder Canyon and have easy access to setting up top ropes. Check them out on Mountain Project. If you're looking for someone to go with to show you some tips and pointers or just ask some general questions, send me a PM. I've been trad climbing for about 6 or 7 years now. I work during the week but am available on the weekends.

Postby IronLionZion » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks for the responses everyone! I have already been doing many of the things TallGrass suggested, reading FoTH every night and tying knots. I have a helmet shoes and chalk bag but yea I've been keeping an eye on steap and cheap for some quick draws and I need to buy some slings.
I have only followed 5.9 and 10a on outdoor toprope up at north table mountain, I have never lead these.
MountainMedic- I am def interested in this weekend I will send PM. Thanks again all.
Oh yes I have heard of this happy hour place up the canyon and have been researching some spots on mountain project I pretty much just need a partner who wants to lead so I can follow for a while and get stronger and more comfortable. When you say fireman belay you just mean you just rappel and someone is holding the end of the rope or something? I can see how this would save a rope.

Postby TallGrass » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:33 pm

IronLionZion wrote:When you say fireman belay you just mean you just rappel and someone is holding the end of the rope or something? I can see how this would save a rope.

Do a search. It's a safety, especially for one coming off cleaning an anchor. You don't want to pull weighted rope through an anchor. Pull your weighted rope through your own, un-(ab)used, gear.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink: