Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backcountry snowboard/ski partners

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Backcountry snowboard/ski partners

Postby ak47 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks everyone for the reply! I'll be in touch more once the snow starts piling up, but for anyone interested loveland pass was pretty fun today with decent coverage off the ridge, definitely gets paper thin lower down but was well worth the trip! Planning on jones pass friday if anyone's interested..cheers to the season!

Postby MatB » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Keep me in mind as well. Avy 1 last December so relative noob in the backcountry. Avalanches scare the s**t out of me so I try to pick safe/moderate lines to get fresh tracks.

If anyone is out Saturday (Jones/Berthoud/Loveland) and needs a partner or wants to let me tag along let me know. My usual partner is tied up on Saturday.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby SeracZack » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Jones pass was pretty good today. The extra snow from this last storm definitely helped out the coverage. Anyone up for a short tour Sunday? Loveland Pass, Jones Pass, or similar? Haven't been up Berthoud recently, or Cameron, but those could be options as well.

Postby mountainute » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:06 am

Hi all,

sounds fun - please keep me posted on future plans. groups are good to have especially when breaking trails or driving to the mountains in winter. have skis and splitboard, live near Boulder. tired now. posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=41968#
experience - yeah have experience. good night all,
u

Postby SolarAlex » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:16 am

I'd love to get out for some mellow days at loveland or berthoud pass. I have a split board…I would definitely say I'm an amateur when it comes to avy safety, but i have read a couple of avalanche safety books cover to cover and I'm hoping to take Avy 1 this december, schedule permitting. I have all the required gear and I know how to use a beacon. I would say I prefer to stay on the conservative side of the risk spectrum…my "gnarliest" descent was off of quandary last year.

so anyone who wants to get out and ride or even do snow safety practice, let me know id love to join you. It would be great to get out with some people who really know what they are doing.

Postby IronLionZion » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:55 am

I need partners too! My summer partner is not taking his avalanche awareness seriously so I need to ditch him, I got in enough hairy situations with him last year and he says he is too poor to buy a beacon, f that. I have avy 1 and big mountain experience, I am definitely up for the long haul days/overnights. Also thinking of planning a hut trip for Dec/Jan.
SerracZack- I am probably up for a Sunday tour. PM.
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. Psalm 17:5

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:21 am

IronLionZion wrote:...he says he is too poor to buy a beacon, f that...

Errr., holy crap. Yeah, time for a new partner. You shouldn't be able to afford an AT/splitboard set up before you can't afford a beacon.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby evolve » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:41 pm

lmk if you, or anyone, wants to come down and hit any lines in the San Juans. I've got avy 1 (which I'll take again this year), lots of time up in Silverton, bsp, freshly cut split, snowshoes, winter camping gear... conditions permitting I'm down to ride pretty much anything, alpine lines, couloirs, trees, build a fat booter, ...

Postby MatB » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:02 am

Slide around Loveland Pass has US 6 closed. If I knew more I'd post about it. Be careful this weekend, natural slides (from my understanding) are occuring in that area.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby nkan02 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:37 am

MatB wrote:Slide around Loveland Pass has US 6 closed. If I knew more I'd post about it. Be careful this weekend, natural slides (from my understanding) are occuring in that area.

That's crazy. Thanks for posting. Here is the photo of Loveland pass from last weekend (skiable terrain, not immediately near US 6 obviously). Still, didnt' think there was enough to slide out there just yet. Wrong!

p.s. Just found an update on CDOT:
US 6 at Loveland Pass(MM 208.66-229.33)
Snow, Icy, Snow Packed. Open, following snow slide. All CMV must chain-up, including buses or vans with 16+ capacity.
2013-11-01 09:55
:shock: What a Halloween story.

p.p.s.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/snow-slide-closes-loveland-pass
Attachments
CAM01306.jpg
CAM01306.jpg (68.18 KiB) Viewed 199 times
Last edited by nkan02 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Brimstone10 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:43 am

I was just skiing there last Saturday. I didn't realize they got that much new snow.

Postby TeamDino5280 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:32 pm

Jones pass today with AK47

hopefully it keeps up

"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

PreviousNext