Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backcountry snowboard/ski partners

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Backcountry snowboard/ski partners

Postby ak47 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:21 pm

Hello fellow mtn enthusiasts! I've recently moved to nederland, CO and am seeking bc partners for this season! I am very familiar with the indian peaks wilderness and hoping to find partners to explore this vast area in the winter. I would like to ride some of the easier, safer lines inc. audobon and pawnee mid-winter. Most of my outings in the ipw consist of long approaches, trying weather conditions (windian peaks), and absolute solitude. I'm looking for strong partners capable of enduring farther and longer than your average winter roadside tours. I'm also always up for a more mellow outing to berthoud, jones, or loveland passes and know these areas very well and have been hiking/ riding these zones for 8 years. I have a splitboard and am also comfortable booting or snowshoeing around to suit the terrain. I have taken avy lvl 1 and 2 as well as various workshops inc. companion rescue and snow pit analysis. I take avy safety and terrain analysis very seriously and would want the same from a bc partner. If this sounds like you hit me up anytime, or if you are less experienced and just looking to tour around one of the mentioned passes I'm up for that too. I'm off all winter <again> and willing to ride anyday, preferably weekdays and always powder days. Let me know if you want to get out or if you're looking for a solid partner, thanks, Alex

Re: Backcountry snowboard/ski partners

Postby Dave B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Commenting mostly to bookmark this thread.

I would be interested in joining you for some longer objectives. Especially once HWY 36 and 7 between Lyons and PtP are reopened come December, otherwise the drive is hard to swallow for us Fort Collanders.

I can typically get out for one day each week
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby nkan02 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:07 pm

I haven't done anything yet in IPW (aside from Moffat tunnel jaunts), so would be interested to explore the area more. Count me in, always looking for strong partners. I have Level 1, but plan to do a refresher this season.

Postby TeamDino5280 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Count me in live in Idaho Springs and have good weekday availability. I have level 1 and am taking 2 this year as well as EMT and OEC. PM me anytime

Postby clemsonmtneer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:26 pm

AK47, I would definitely be interested in some IPW ski tours this winter, there's some great exploring to be done in the area, and of course the key advantage of no I-70 to deal with! Like you, I also take avalanche danger seriously and typically prefer mellow/safer lines until spring consolidation. I should have more free time in December and January, but after January will mostly be limited to weekends aside from the occasional Friday or early weekday morning.

Dave, I haven't forgotten your invite and still want to get out to Cameron this year. Will have more free time once this crazy fall semester is over (and if I'm lucky, maybe a random weekday free before then). From your pictures it looks like things are off to a great start up there!

Postby Dave B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:34 pm

clemsonmtneer wrote:Dave, I haven't forgotten your invite and still want to get out to Cameron this year. Will have more free time once this crazy fall semester is over (and if I'm lucky, maybe a random weekday free before then). From your pictures it looks like things are off to a great start up there!

Awesome! It was really fun last weekend, I'm always down for more southerly ventures as well. Hope the semester goes well.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby uwe » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:04 am

Hi,

Put me on your DIST list for Saturdays, Berthoud Pass.
BC AT ski level is novice.

Postby oldschoolczar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:18 am

I'd be interested in both IPW tours and quick roadside tours. Sounds like you know some of the areas very well.. Loveland/Berthoud/Jones.. I'd be interested in joining you on some of these trips.. would be cool to learn a bit from you about these areas!
This is my first season backcountry skiing, but I'm a fairly strong downhill skier.. Just took Avy 1 late Spring and I'm looking to possibly do a refresher or at least get some good beacon practice in soon.
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby SeracZack » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:21 am

I suppose I'll throw my name in the hat. Usually my wife and I go on the weekends, but she works all but one weekend throughout November and December. So, I really don't want to go by myself...
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby TeamDino5280 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:03 am

Anyone up for this Friday? Open to areas in Clear Creek, Grand and summit counties
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby EatinHardtack » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:46 pm

I'll chime in also. Lost my backcountry partner to the east coast for a job opportunity this summer. Looking to get out as well once things start filling in.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby dehrlich101 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:21 pm

I am also interested in doing some back county this year. I am a snowboarder with snowshoes for transportation. Avy 1 from Silverton Mountain School. I have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday's off.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Next