Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Orizaba 2013

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Orizaba 2013

Postby Jaymi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Hidey Ho Neighbor!

Kicking around a Nov or Dec 5 or 6 day trip to Mexico for an Orizaba climb. Any interest out there?

Jay

Re: Orizaba 2013

Postby WSN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:06 pm

you mean the thanksgiving week / the christmas week? planning for a ski descent?

Postby Jaymi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:50 pm

I'm flexible on dates. Generally, I base it on best airline ticket prices. Descent without skis for me, but open for others. :-D

Postby Patinator » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:36 am

I was mulling a trip between Dec 6 - Dec 18th with a possible ski descent. I've never skied anything that high up and worried that my legs will be toast. I was planning on hiring a guide and attempting an accelerated summit.

Postby Jaymi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:39 am

Hey Patinator,

That date range could work for me, and accelerated summit sounds good.

However, I would prefer unguided to save dinero and make the accomplishment a hair more meaningful.

Postby uwe » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:00 am

Colorado Mountain Club's Adventure Travel Committee is posting an Orizaba climb at the first of the year.

Postby kushrocks » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:07 am

Ive been up Orizaba twice and the snow conditions on the glacier are usually awful for skiing. In my opinion it would not be worth it. The snow is very hard packed and uneven with penitentes. It is great for crampons but not for skis. See photo below for typical snow conditions. Also, there is no need to hire a guide unless you feel like you want some added knowledge and safety but the route is very straightforward. You can't beat staying with the Canchola's and using them for logistics. They will treat you like family.
Attachments
Orizaba Glacier not ideal for skiing.jpg
Orizaba Glacier not ideal for skiing.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 611 times
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby herdbull » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:19 am

As kushrocks stated the route is very straight forward once you hit the glacier. If you have any route finding ability what so ever the bottom end is a breeze as well even in the complete darkness. Plus you’ll probably end up doing a little scouting trip the day before on your acclimation hike.

I too highly, highly, highly….did I say highly? recommend the Cancholas :-D . They are great people and have a super nice family. They have everything you need and will take great care of you. And you definitely won’t starve staying with them as Maribel will keep the food coming. I knew before I even got back on the plane to come home that someday I would be back.

For now I’m onto bigger mtns (Aconcagua) but that place, the Cancholas, the village… it all has a special place in my heart. You won’t be disappointed. It’s inexpensive & close enough to make it an extended weekend trip. And despite where it is the bus system is quite good and reliable and will get you right to their front door.

As for an accelerated schedule? That definitely can be done as well. I went from staring at my plane on the runway in WI at 780’ to the summit in 52 hours. I had planned 5 days for the trip but it could be done in 4 days door to door. I was lucky and tagged along with another group the Chancolas were taking up to the hut on my “free day”. It was really neat to hang at the hut for half a day watching climbers come and go, eating homemade Mexican food and sharing stories with people from all over the world. What better place to hang out than an international climbing hut at 14K?

One tip I can give you about sleeping. It’s probably quieter in the small hut but you’ll want to bait the mice outside with some food. Once the lights went out they were into everything. If you want to talk about this trip, the logistics, the climb, anything, just give me a shout. I love talking climbing.

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:29 am

herdbull wrote:If you have any route finding ability what so ever the bottom end is a breeze as well even in the complete darkness.

This fluctuates based on time of year and conditions. Going later in the season is reportedly much easier. I, for one, thought the Labyrinth lived up to its name in November -- and I was with an experienced group.

I do agree with everything kushrocks said, especially the part about staying with the Cancholas. Their outfit is top-notch and very affordable. Orizaba can be done for cheaper than a trip to the PNW...
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Jaymi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I am assuming the Cancholas mentioned are the same Cancholas as the ones at summitorizaba.com, correct?

Herdbull: Thanks for the offer to discuss the trip further. If it comes together, I will definitely give you a shout. For what it's worth, I climbed Aconcagua back in 2007 with a good local outfit named Fernando Grajales (www.gajales.net). They know the mountain, were kind, and were very well priced at the time.

Cheers!

Jay

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:24 pm

kushrocks wrote:Ive been up Orizaba twice and the snow conditions on the glacier are usually awful for skiing. In my opinion it would not be worth it. The snow is very hard packed and uneven with penitentes. It is great for crampons but not for skis. See photo below for typical snow conditions. Also, there is no need to hire a guide unless you feel like you want some added knowledge and safety but the route is very straightforward. You can't beat staying with the Canchola's and using them for logistics. They will treat you like family.

I've been up Orizaba a couple times, in Feb 1993 & Jan 2006. In 1993 the snow was user friendly, not too hard or soft. In 2006 it was hard and icy, a slip would have been bad. I would have preferred the penitentes kushrocks had. The glacier has receded over the years resulting with getting steeper higher up. The conditions can vary year to year. I've been told the hurricane season in the Gulf is a factor in how much snow the mountain gets. Less snow can mean harder ice. This has been a quiet hurricane season. I would be watching for current year trip reports before going. Also the Reyes can be a good source for information. We stayed with them last time.
http://servimont.com.mx/english/index.php
USAKeller skied Orizaba. Here is her trip report:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=7467&parmuser=USAKeller&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Patinator » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:28 am

Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, very useful. I was on the bubble about the skis, but I think I will leave them at home.

Jay - why don't you send me a message so we can discuss in more detail.

Next