Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ellingwood Blanca Friday Oct 25

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Ellingwood Blanca Friday Oct 25

Postby BrentRichter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Thinking of driving from Denver after work Thursday to the road in the dark, stopping @ 8000-8800' or so, sleeping in the car or a tent, getting up around sunrise and hiking to Lake Como, then if conditions look good, trying for Ellingwood and Blanca, returning to Denver the same day as I have to catch a plane Saturday morning. Would prefer not to try this solo, just in case. Looking for partner w/ similar experience (~40 14ers) and is a speedy hiker. Or would appreciate advice from anyone who has tried what I describe herein before, particularly around this time of year.

Re: Ellingwood Blanca Friday Oct 25

Postby geojed » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Consider this route. Will save you 4mi of hiking w/ same elevation gain as Lake Como Rd, even with the combo.

http://14ers.com//routemain.php?route=elli5
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Re: Ellingwood Blanca Friday Oct 25

Postby michaelgrundy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:57 am

Good Luck! I went down there during the gov't shutdown and was unable to use geojed's route. We had to huff it up Lake Como road instead and we were way behind schedule due to the longer approach and the snow in the path. We ended up bailing around the mine hole at 13,500 because I didnt feel like being on the mountain until 4 and getting back to Denver at 9 PM. I swear, the next time I go back there, I am going to get all three peaks and be done with that craptastic road.