Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lincoln Falls Ice Climbing Saturday Nov. 9th

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Lincoln Falls Ice Climbing Saturday Nov. 9th

Postby spadflyer12 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:01 pm

kansas wrote:The roads were snowpacked last weekend and the gate at the reservoir is closed.

Hmmm, dang that makes the approach a lot longer, also means that my car will be much less inconspicuous...

Postby Jerousek » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:18 pm

If it's not too last minute I'd like to join you ladies and gents, as well.

Presently at zero experience on WI, but I'd be thrilled to learn the basics from the 14ers crowd.
“It is an honor and a privilege to be alive, however briefly, on this marvelous planet we call Earth.”
Ed Abbey

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:18 pm

Spadflyer- if I recall the gate being closed hardly adds anything to the approach. I have slept at both the winter and summer THs with no issues.

Postby oldschoolczar » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:58 pm

I don't "get" ice climbing.. just doesn't seem like much fun to me. I guess I don't really know shite about it, but it seems like less of a "puzzle" than rock climbing and more of just a mindless pain in the ballsack... dig your crampons and ice tools in and go straight up. I'm certain there's more to it than that but I guess I just don't care :P I guess if you want to be an all-star mountaineer you have to climb ice! :wink:
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby Pascual » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Oldschoolczar, ice attracts me for the same reason i choose climbing class 4 or 5 to reach the summit instead of using the class 1 route. That is what my doctor said :-D
Being a little more serious ( :lol: ), knowing how to climb ice gives me a load of confidence in other routes like colours in the very early hours of a cold day. I don't know much, but what I have been able to learn helped me to relax and enjoy mountains even more.
I see climbing in the same way: acquire technical skills and mental awareness so I don't shake crossing Knife Edge ( :^o I think I am going to shake anyway... [-o< )
Challenges provide opportunities for improvement, which, in the end, make it easier to achieve private and public Happiness.
And there is always a challenge for those who seek it.

Postby dehrlich101 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Gumby sighting!

Great day on the ice today. Big thanks to Matt, Peter, and Noah for giving us noobs a good intro to ice climbing.

I'll post a few other pictures in a day or two.

I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby forbins_mtn » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:34 pm

Great time today! Thank you to everyone who set up the ropes and answered all my questions. Today rocked. I've definitely spent the afternoon thinking about my form. It was great just being able to get on the ice. The obsession starts..........now!

Postby jmeizis » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:13 pm

So I ended up at Lincoln this Saturday because Lake City wasn't very in and we thought the crowds would be at RMNP with the free entrance all weekend. Wish I would of seen this post because it was a complete junkshow. We left pretty quickly.

That's only the upper tier. The lower was just as bad. Not sure if that was your whole group of like 40 people but that was a complete s**t show. Not cool. Luckily nobody got hurt while we were there.

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:39 pm

jmeizis wrote:So I ended up at Lincoln this Saturday because Lake City wasn't very in and we thought the crowds would be at RMNP with the free entrance all weekend. Wish I would of seen this post because it was a complete junkshow. We left pretty quickly.

That's only the upper tier. The lower was just as bad. Not sure if that was your whole group of like 40 people but that was a complete s**t show. Not cool. Luckily nobody got hurt while we were there.

In this photo, we had 2 ropes up. The rest were from the other 10-15 people up there that day that were not with our group. This is what the ice looked like when I skied past it a few years ago. I think there was a CMC class that day. It's a popular place!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Dakota » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:50 pm

jmeizis wrote:So I ended up at Lincoln this Saturday because Lake City wasn't very in and we thought the crowds would be at RMNP with the
free entrance all weekend. Wish I would of seen this post because it was a complete junkshow. We left pretty quickly.

Poor fella! *sniff* *sniff* :justkillme:
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Yeah, we had about 15 people total. I think most of us newbies stuck to the low angle stuff on the sides that most ice climbers would just use as their approach to the real stuff. I know I learned more about my foot placement on those runs anyway.

that place was pretty packed(and only a small portion was us). when Kelly and I were hiking out around 1230p there were plenty of people still hiking up and even parking when we got to the car.

Postby rijaca » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:53 pm

jmeizis wrote:So I ended up at Lincoln this Saturday because Lake City wasn't very in and we thought the crowds would be at RMNP with the free entrance all weekend. Wish I would of seen this post because it was a complete junkshow. We left pretty quickly.

What's not cool, is you complaining about the crowds. Come on, man!!! Complaining about crowds at Lincoln Falls in Nov. is like complaining about crowds at Grays/Torreys on a summer weekend.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

PreviousNext