Forum

Lincoln Falls Ice Climbing Saturday Nov. 9th

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Lincoln Falls Ice Climbing Saturday Nov. 9th

Postby kushrocks » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:48 am

Well said Matt. See you guys there and THANK YOU for organizing this.

I Man wrote:I figure I can't delay replying anymore. My gut reaction was to cancel, but after talking to Noah and others, I realize that's not fair. If you want to be Elitist over Lincoln Falls, you need to expand your horizons. Look even in this thread, the pillars are already hacked out. That's Lincoln. Not everyone can drive to Ouray just to watch or get one lap in. Everyone learns somewhere.

So that bring said: this is NOT a clinic, I am NOT a veteran ice climber and there are dozens on this site stronger than me. I am simply providing a safe way to experience it. All I am providing is a top rope and a group of like minded individuals. "There's the rope, there's the ice...go climb it."

As TJ said there were only a dozen or so replies and most will bail. We will likely only take 1-2 anchors, keep it to groups of 4-5 with a "leader." I'm sorry but that's not much different than what you'd see anyway, except that we are from a "hiking community."

So yea. PM me if you plan to attend and what you gear/ skill level is. If it gets to be too big I'll cap it. Noah will try and make it as well.

Hike 14ers, scramble hard winter peaks...climb big mountains....it doesn't matter. We are all Gumbys.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:02 am

Wait a second. So am I allowed to flash my boobs or not?

Great response to the haters Matt.

Postby rkalsbeek » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:12 am

I just had to crack up from reading all of this. I love the passion!

Self-proclaimed Gumby to ice climbing. And I realize some of the flack is directed at me as I am new to ice climbing and have been commenting on this thread, so I apologize if my gumbiness caused unnecessary stress to those people who were kind enough to organize this and willing to take someone new to ice climbing out and share their knowledge. It speaks a lot to your character.

But this won't be my first time in the mountains.... As I mentioned before, I'll be going to watch and to learn a thing or two overall about ice climbing. I see nothing wrong with that. THANK YOU for setting this up as I really appreciate it.

We all started somewhere...
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.

Postby SickSticks » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:19 am

My original post was an honest attempt at trying to voice the concerns and opinion of someone who regularly ice climbs and associates with those that do as well. To suggest an event like regardless of whether your a non"veteran ice climber" or not smacks of irresponsibility in regards to safety, the resource in question, and the ice climbing community in general.

"There's the rope, there's the ice...go climb it." I think this quote supports my points more than anything. So your going to organize a large group of inexperienced individuals to partake in a very dangerous activity and tell them to have at it? That's f***ing retarded. What's next your going to recruit people straight off the bunny slope to go backcountry skiing? From what I gather your acting as a guide, without the experience of being a guide, and without the necessary skill sets to be a guide in this activity/environment. Dumb.

Furthermore I don't think I could have written more objectively in my original post (which was my intent even though I was fairly incensed) and if you came to the conclusion that its elitist then you need to quit crying and scrape the sand out of your vagina. Maybe instead of playing outside on the weekends you should take up silence meditation that way when an idea pops into your head a larger voice in your head will tell you to shut the f**k up.

Postby smoove » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:45 am

SickSticks wrote:My original post was an honest attempt at trying to voice the concerns and opinion of someone who regularly ice climbs and associates with those that do as well. To suggest an event like regardless of whether your a non"veteran ice climber" or not smacks of irresponsibility in regards to safety, the resource in question, and the ice climbing community in general.

"There's the rope, there's the ice...go climb it." I think this quote supports my points more than anything. So your going to organize a large group of inexperienced individuals to partake in a very dangerous activity and tell them to have at it? That's f***ing retarded. What's next your going to recruit people straight off the bunny slope to go backcountry skiing? From what I gather your acting as a guide, without the experience of being a guide, and without the necessary skill sets to be a guide in this activity/environment. Dumb.

Furthermore I don't think I could have written more objectively in my original post (which was my intent even though I was fairly incensed) and if you came to the conclusion that its elitist then you need to quit crying and scrape the sand out of your vagina. Maybe instead of playing outside on the weekends you should take up silence meditation that way when an idea pops into your head a larger voice in your head will tell you to shut the f**k up.

This is when the anonymity of the Interweb comes in really handy. Is that how you would talk to someone face to face? I understood your fair point about a large, inexperienced group obliterating the ice and the potential danger of taking a bunch of newbies ice climbing. (But they're going to be top roped, right? Doesn't sound overly dangerous to me.) But man, you are a punk.

Postby rkalsbeek » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:46 am

I appreciate your concern for people's safety. But your rambling sounds more like someone whining about "their climbing spot" being found out. It's a crowded planet, get use to more people showing up.

I also hate to diverge from the thread, but did you seriously join the forum yesterday just to give everyone crap?

Sicksticks.jpg
Sicksticks.jpg (11.59 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.

Postby jblyth » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:47 am

SickSticks wrote:My original post was an honest attempt at trying to voice the concerns and opinion of someone who regularly ice climbs and associates with those that do as well. To suggest an event like regardless of whether your a non"veteran ice climber" or not smacks of irresponsibility in regards to safety, the resource in question, and the ice climbing community in general.

So I take it you won't be joining this crew to share all your wisdom? Take a deep breath and relax Mr. Sticks....everyone gets what you are saying, just not everyone agrees with you, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Postby Tommy Dorr » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:10 am

The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease.

Postby Winter8000m » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:38 am

From someone that's been an avid ice/mixed climber for the last many years, I'd have to weigh on the side of Matt and most on here. Its Lincoln falls. It ain't bridalveil falls. Its the perfect place to learn. Its already hacked out. You go there expecting crowds. If you don't want them, i know plenty of places that won't have any. Hint hint rmnp........or north star. Vail even has ice right now. I bet no one knows that. Its not about population control on the ice. Share the psyche. No matter what you climb. I for one would not cancel. Go somewhere else if you don't like it. Plenty of ice around right now. Once again....it's Lincoln falls.....you can't ask to be there without some sort of group.

Postby rickinco123 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:44 am

Putting aside all of the brow beating and chest thumping so far I have a couple points about group size that may or may not apply here.

1. The Forest Service limits group size to 8 usually, this can vary from place to place.
2. Psychological experiments have shown group sizes over 5 lead to incredibly bad decision making. This can be over come by appointing a clear leader.
3. If you declare yourself as a leader of a group, you could expose yourself to legal liability.

Have fun out there and be safe.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:57 am

I do not have a problem with large groups doing something in the woods together; however, I choose not to participate in them. I also like gum.

Postby CampoVail » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:20 pm

What is it with some people ?????? A mere offer to help some people gain a little knowledge and experience into ice climbing has turned into a rambling s**t show. Both Matt and Noah are down to earth genuine people, they may not be guides but they have expressed an interest in helping others. I for one, like people like that !!
Crossing the road can be dangerous and so can climbing but that said I would happily tie into any line that this pair of "Highland ranch gumbies" have set up. They both worked for me as safety officers on a large commercial construction project, belaying and lowering painters off the sides of a high hotel where a lift wouldn't work. They did it perfectly in full "OSHA" compliance.
Actually the more I think about this I might just come too. Only if one of you promises to give a "Camp Gladiator" speech at the summit of Lincoln Falls..

PreviousNext