Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

quandary peak 10.23 or 10.24

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

quandary peak 10.23 or 10.24

Postby danieljinsa » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:35 pm

I've decided on quandary for the days listed above. As it's my first semi winter ascent i won't go it alone. So I'm looking for a partner or two to meet me at the spa and lodge breck. If I get a definite rsvp on here, I'll leave Texas immediately.

Re: quandary peak 10.23 or 10.24

Postby danieljinsa » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:56 pm

We've got a team of three right now for Wednesday morning. The more the merrier

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi danieljinsa, and best of success on Quandary this week!

If it's not too much trouble, could you please post how things are shaping up snow-wise on Quandary when you get back? The WW is less than two weeks away, and we have some very nice weather this week.

Thanks so much!

Postby danieljinsa » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:54 am

Dancesatmoonrise, unfortunately I didn't make the trip. Dog sitter was unavail, and she didn't fair well the first hour plus of the drive. 16 hours wldve been far too hazardous in the car with her

Postby davebobk47 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:31 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:If it's not too much trouble, could you please post how things are shaping up snow-wise on Quandary when you get back? The WW is less than two weeks away, and we have some very nice weather this week.

I might be taking my brother up there either Wed or Thurs this week. He's coming from sea level so we may not summit but I'll post conditions.

FYI- I did Peak 9 (Spruce Gulch via Wheeler Trail) 2 weeks ago and I was in snow up to my knees most of the way.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality." -T.E. Lawrence

Postby SKIBREC » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:44 pm

My mutt and I going up early weds morning....if anyone wants to go up with a local and a real mtn dog!....just msg me
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:46 pm

danieljinsa wrote:Dancesatmoonrise, unfortunately I didn't make the trip. Dog sitter was unavail, and she didn't fair well the first hour plus of the drive. 16 hours wldve been far too hazardous in the car with her

Oh gosh, I'm sorry to hear that!
Maybe you'll be able to make the WW on Nov 2! :-D

SKIBREC wrote:going up early weds morning....

Awesome! Please let us know how conditions look - packed, if snowshoes required, etc.
Also - do you think parking for the WW will be an issue this year with the revised TR? Thanks!

Postby waitingforanairplane » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:18 pm

i hiked the east ridge of quandary yesterday (sunday). we enjoyed great weather in the morning and then a snowstorm rolled in and tossed us some snow and heavy winds.

i brought snowshoes, but never used them. ditched them 1000 ft from the summit and grabbed them on the way back down. the snow was knee deep in some sections, but was fairly well traveled by the time we got there (even though we only passed 4 people all day). microspikes definitely came in handy.

still a noob to this forum...hope it's okay to post some pics here?

visibility was close to zero on the summit

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:39 pm

waitingforanairplane wrote:
still a noob to this forum...hope it's okay to post some pics here?
Yes! \:D/ And congrats on the summit! =D>

And thanks for the pictographic update!! :-D

Postby davebobk47 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:39 pm

Went up yesterday. Even less snow and more packed down than the pictures show. Been a week of sun, carried microspikes but never used them. Rather muddy on the descent but overall very nice conditions.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality." -T.E. Lawrence