Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Crestone Peak 9/23-24

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Crestone Peak 9/23-24

Postby ChrisM » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 pm

I'm planning on doing something different, maybe it's different. Going bare bones on pack weight, I plan to go over BHP from S Colony Lakes and spend the night near the base of the red gully. Then, the next day, go up the red gully, summit and return over BHP and hike out, then drive home. This spreads out the energy more evenly over the two days. Live in Colo Spgs, willing to drive. I like a casual/comfortable pace unless lightening is about to hit. PM me if you would like to go.

Re: Crestone Peak 9/23-24

Postby Joel Moore » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Better to sleep at south colony lakes in my opinion.

Postby BlueKhan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:13 pm

Joel Moore wrote:Better to sleep at south colony lakes in my opinion.

I also agree. Last time I went over Broken Hand Pass, I spent the next 2 days supporting a recovery on BHP. I know there is a new "less strenuous" option from the west and that might be a viable option...but I surely wouldn't want to carry a full pack over BHP. That's just me. Everyone has their own boundaries...

Postby climbnowworklater » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:52 am

BlueKhan wrote:
Joel Moore wrote:Better to sleep at south colony lakes in my opinion.

I also agree. Last time I went over Broken Hand Pass, I spent the next 2 days supporting a recovery on BHP. I know there is a new "less strenuous" option from the west and that might be a viable option...but I surely wouldn't want to carry a full pack over BHP. That's just me. Everyone has their own boundaries...

I think the "less strenuous" option you refer to is the Cottonwood Creek (CWK)TH. I did the Crestones from this TH and it is not "less strenuous". It actually may be more strenuous. For me, ex-backpack guide, it was no problem. For my buddy, he came in from both the SCL and CWK routes and he is on the fence. Not having hiked the BHP side, I wouldn't want to haul an overnight bag up BHP based on the reputation.

The issue: For me, I heard horror stories about BHP and the waste of energy it is to hike it first thing in the morning. I didn't want that waste. CWK puts you at the base of the "Red" and for me, that was huge. Especially cause we did the Traverse and we wanted lots of time. But, the hike in is "Arduous", just as Roach describes. The trail is clear but long and exhausting and requires some route finding for the last 1 mile or so....

Bottom Line: better be in GREAT shape to come in from CWK, and if you are prepared: it is a blessing! I will only hike this hike via CWK in the future as it was a huge time saver, wonderful hike in, and talk about privacy and seclusion. But tough.

ChrisM: I am just finishing a movie we made of the Traverse and I can send it to you if you'd like.
"the best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

Postby ChrisM » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:59 am

Great insite and thoughts. I have attempted the peak from both sides now...sounds like a song....with both times being cut short due to a fellow climber becoming ill. I only got to 11.5k on the west side, though, and at the time it seemed extremely difficult on the left side of the creek. A friend of mine says the right side is easier. Haven't experienced that yet. I am on the fence, too, but I know BHP, now, and carrying a 20 lb pack shouldn't be too hard. Going up and over BHP twice in one day, plus the actual purpose of climbing Crestone Peak, leans me to that side of the fence for now. I would like to explore the west side a little more, as it is a rough way to go for sure. Also, I need to be around other climbers to make my wife comfortable, if I start out solo, and the east side offers that while the west would be very secluded.

Anyone want to go?

Postby wmichael3 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:55 am

I was planning on camping at SCL on Sunday and then climbing on Monday/Tuesday. I was torn on reading this about camping at Cottonwood instead, but because of the same reasons you mention decided to stick with SCL and deal with the 2 crossings of BHP, particularly as the forecast looks good, although windy on Monday, with reasonable chance of rain or snow on Sunday. Essentially I'd rather be below tree-line in crappy weather. That also has made me indecisive about pushing back to camping at SCL on Monday instead, and climbing Tuesday/Wednesday. (thinking about Needle and/or Humboldt also based on weather/how I feel, but I have to be back in Denver on Thursday) Let me know if you want to connect.