Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fifth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Date for the Fifth WW?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:28 pm

1. November 2.
59%
2. November 3.
13%
3. October 26.
25%
4. October 27.
3%

Total votes : 75

Fifth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 pm

.................................................Image

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Where: Quandary Peak, East Ridge (Standard)
When: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 8:00 am
Summit Meetup: Noon to 1pm.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

----------------------------Let's welcome the coming of winter once again with the------------------------------

-----------------------------Fifth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer! ------------------------------

Once again it's time to celebrate the coming of winter with the 14ers gang on Quandary!
Every year around Halloween a few dozen of us get together on Quandary. Please join us!

Quandary Peak summit, 2009.

In remembrance of Steve Gladbach, the inspiration of the tradition, when took five of us newbies up Quandary on
Halloween weekend, 2009. Steve was not only a pioneering influence in Colorado mountaineering, but had selflessly
devoted much of his time helping others achieve their mountaineering dreams. Steve, you are yet owed a great debt
by all of us.

Third Annual.

Third Annual.

The last two years, a number of folks wore costumes, so bring the camera! Costumes are optional, of course. The real purpose of the hike is two-fold: to welcome
the coming of the snow season, and to provide a low-risk introduction with the company of others to those wishing to learn about winter mountaineering.

If you're new to 14ers in snow season, you'll find many experienced mountaineers to hook up with on the climb. Even if some of them are a little goofy.

A number of folks will be meeting in the parking lot around 9:00 am. If you want to leave earlier, that's fine. I'd like to have most of us on the summit
about the same time (assuming good weather.)

Many of us will be able to do the ascent in two to three hours, but leaving time for a slower pace, let's plan to meet on the summit around Noon to 1:00 pm
and try to plan for summit photos, etc, around 1 pm. If the forecast is for high winds or weather, we can re-adjust plans a few days prior, as needed.

Please post if interested. In the event of adverse conditions, will evaluate the week of the event, and consider an alternate date if needed.

-Jim

For those of you new to winter or Fourteeners, here are a few suggestions. You'll also find additional great info from the experienced folks on this site.

-Hydration: It is better to keep water in the pack. On a winter daytrip, bottles should not freeze in the pack. Hydration systems freeze. The line tends to freeze, even with the "freezeproof" lines. We may not have a problem this early in the season, but bottles in the pack are better. Also, even in the cold season, having at least two liters, and preferably three liters, may be well advised. Gatorade is strongly recommended over plain water.

-Clothing: In true winter conditions, gloves may be carried in addition to, but not as a replacement for, full-on mittens. For this Quandary trip in early November, forecasts will dictate. Have at least heavy gloves, like ski gloves, in addition to some light gloves. In general, have something to cover all skin. A hooded jacket is preferable for the top layer, in addition to a beanie. The jacket does not have to be waterproof, but should be fairly windproof. Wear heavier socks, and carry an extra pair of socks. Cold feet happen often during this time of year. Make sure boots are not tight fitting. Pants do not need to be waterproof, but should be insulating. No sweats. Insulated ski pants work well. A face mask is usually not necessary, though is not a bad idea. A balaclava may be good, especially in cold or windy conditions. Carry some extra layers (synthetic or down; no cotton) as it is colder up higher, especially when one stops climbing.

-Tools: Poles can be helpful. Snowshoes have not been needed on the last few annual Halloween Quandary hikes. However, a large amount of snow the day before may make snowshoes advisable. Check the forecasts and website a few days before the event. Kahtoolas (micro-spikes) are available for $60. While pricey, they are like tire chains for your boots. They are useful in both summer and winter on 14ers for traction. Lots of folks go without them, but they may help prevent a slip and fall. A GPS may be helpful. A map and compass should be a minimum requirement for each member of the party. Maps can be downloaded from the online 14ers guidebook on this site. An altimeter watch, in the absence of a GPS, may be helpful.

-Other stuff: We've had nice weather for most of these. Sunscreen is a must. SPF lip balm is very helpful. Don't forget the camera. Most alpinists always have a headlamp, and often, more than one source of light. Gaiters may be helpful, especially if it snows a day or two before the event. However, the standard route on Quandary is well-traveled and usually very well packed. Goggles may be helpful if it's windy, very cold, or snowing, though most of the time are not needed. Sunglasses are a must, and may be used with a hat or hood for more coverage.

Remember: this is not a guided trip. Every person attending should take reasonable responsibility for their own safety. Read the section on this site about the route, download the map and description, have a reasonable idea of where you're going and how to get back, and be well-prepared. There will likely be many people on the mountain that day, and no issues are anticipated. Let's add this trip to the long list of fun, safe outings we've enjoyed together!
Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Fifth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer

Postby Delorean_Man » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:32 am

I plan on making it out there. I've always wanted to try some winter climbing. My question is how easy will it be to get to the trailhead? I have a 4wd tahoe but will I need tire chains or anything? I've driven on a lot of snow, but thats in Kansas, So yeah not that big of a deal.
I would rather sit on a mountain and think about God than sit in church and think about the mountains.

Postby Stephen Butler » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 am

Delorean_Man wrote:I plan on making it out there. I've always wanted to try some winter climbing. My question is how easy will it be to get to the trailhead? I have a 4wd tahoe but will I need tire chains or anything? I've driven on a lot of snow, but thats in Kansas, So yeah not that big of a deal.

I believe highway 9 is plowed/maintained during the winter. The TH is a very short distance from the highway. I wouldn't think you would have any trouble making it to the lower parking lot.

Postby ameristrat » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:40 am

I'm dying to go to this, but can only go if it's the last weekend of October. Just throwing it out there - hope the pole goes my way! If not have a blast!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Delorean_Man » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:14 am

Stephen Butler wrote:
Delorean_Man wrote:I plan on making it out there. I've always wanted to try some winter climbing. My question is how easy will it be to get to the trailhead? I have a 4wd tahoe but will I need tire chains or anything? I've driven on a lot of snow, but thats in Kansas, So yeah not that big of a deal.

I believe highway 9 is plowed/maintained during the winter. The TH is a very short distance from the highway. I wouldn't think you would have any trouble making it to the lower parking lot.

Sweet! Thanks for the info! :-D
I would rather sit on a mountain and think about God than sit in church and think about the mountains.

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:17 am

I've attended the last few and would love to make it, unfortunately Oct. 26 and all Sundays are booked. I'll be there if it's Nov. 2, but that's the underdog it seems, haha. Either way, I can't recommend this event enough. It's always a great time.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Jay521 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Ditto what Surf N Turf said (sort of) - I can ONLY make it on Sundays but I HIGHLY recommend people attend this. It can be a nice introduction to winter climbing and Jim organizes this well. It is a FANTASTIC time.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm there if its Oct 26-27th. I've never done a gathering.

Postby RyGuy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Jim, count me in!

Should be an awesome time, snow, wind, or shine!

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby LoveThisSite » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:04 pm

I'm in for any of those dates (the vote only allows one option, so I randomly chose Nov 2)..

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:37 pm

So far it looks like a Saturday is going to be the best option for everyone, with Nov 2 inching ahead of Oct 26 at the moment.

The advantage of Nov 2 is that it is more likely to have snow. It is also closer to the date of the original trip (Nov 1, 2009) and at that time, we had gorgeous sunny conditions.

Last year's Fourth Annual was quite challenging. Conditions were as bad as anything in calendar winter, in terms of wind and cold. So either way - Oct 26 or Nov 2 - we'll need to be prepared and watch the forecasts the week of.

Keep posting and vote for your choice of date. The poll closes after three weeks, so hopefully we'll have a good consensus.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Postby ccl84 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi everyone! I am new to this site, and new to winter climbing. I've hiked many of the easier 14ers during the summer and have snowshoed and backpacked in the winter, but have never done a peak hike in the winter. I'd love to get started and meet some new people to go with at this welcome hike.

Next