Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

"Old Guy' 67 looking for Old Guy partners again

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: "Old Guy' 67 looking for Old Guy partners again

Postby ztop » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:16 pm

At 63 I keep thinking I'm supposed to slow down but what's the point. I hope to get my finisher this weekend on Sneffels. (My rules-- since a couple guys had just died in rockslides on El D we decided to pass.) Next Spring I plan a celebration hike on Bierstadt which will complete 54 after 50. I'd be up for El Diente from Kilpacker some time, but too busy this fall.

Postby Beagle » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 pm

You are only as old as you feel, and let yourself be.

Right on flyingmagpie !

LB in fog! Yoi! I'm going to have to get some of you fellow-geezers to help me get the 'nads up to do some of the tougher peaks. Class 3 on Sneffels my only "serious" climbing. Stuck on 29 peaks, was hoping to pick up #30 this year. Had two repeats this summer on our local hill, PP but hoping to squeeze one in before the end of September. With this weather there will undoubtedly be snow packing in soon at the higher elevatins.

Excelsior!
This is my religion. This is my church. These are my cathedrals.

"Summiting is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter Thompson

Postby Beagle » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:02 pm

ztop wrote:At 63 I keep thinking I'm supposed to slow down but what's the point.

'zackly ztop, what's the point…lost one of my best backpacking buddies to prostrate surgery this year…he and I often said Carpe Diem!

would love to help you celebrate next spring on Bierstadt…just send out the call!

Postby Monte Meals » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:23 pm

Count me in (I'm 66 and still climbing and skiing the high country) ON ONE CONDITION!

We gotta out-do that LAME GURLZ DANCE-OFF video.

Suggestions welcome for dance tunes.

Cheers,
Monte

Postby Wilderness_hike » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:14 pm

Monte Meals wrote:We gotta out-do that LAME GURLZ DANCE-OFF video.

Cheers,
Monte

I'm not an old guy but this made me laugh. It would be beyond hilarious to see a bunch of old guys out do the girls dance off video.

Postby SteveBonowski » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:45 pm

I just turned 64 and headed to Aconcagua in late November. I regularly lead trips for Colorado Mountain Club, including 14ers (Aconcagua is a Club trip). Check the Club out. Steve

Postby bonehead » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Wilderness_hike wrote:I'm not an old guy but this made me laugh. It would be beyond hilarious to see a bunch of old guys out do the girls dance off video.

I'm one of the younger old guys here and I can't
tell if what passes for dancing and music these days
is actually either.

Postby Kolo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Hey Milt, does this mean I'm too young to hike/climb with you anymore?!

Postby dsunwall » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:15 am

Wilderness_hike wrote:
Monte Meals wrote:We gotta out-do that LAME GURLZ DANCE-OFF video.

Cheers,
Monte

I'm not an old guy but this made me laugh. It would be beyond hilarious to see a bunch of old guys out do the girls dance off video.

trust me, even if you do out do them very few will be interested in watching it, I think you know why. :-D Don't take this badly, I am an "old guy" as well.

Postby ChrisM » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:11 pm

My name is Chris and I am old. I started climbing 14ers like I do most things, later. I started when I was 58. Start the 58 when I was 58 finish them in '14, I thought. I did half of them in the first 3 years mostly solo. Much easier, less safer. I have 14 left. So far, been plagued by plantar something, rolled ankle, and a degenerative knee. No new ones this summer due to poor planning and getting others who fell ill, down safely.

I've documented my trips on 14ers plus written a TR on them. Please take a look at what I haven't done and maybe we can get a small climbing party together to climb a few. I like a reasonable pace, no speed records here. Like to stay on trail/std route. Plan efficiently, and climb safely reducing the risk factor as much as possible. Would like to start planning '14 in the next few months. No longer trying to finish all by next year! And yes, it is all about being outdoors, doing something healthy, enjoying myself and reaching the summits, if the mountain says yes.

Postby tom oconnor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:53 pm

Wow. This makes me feel pretty young at 57 turning 58. But all the other descriptions...slow, steady, safe, definitely fit the bill. Looking for someone to partner up with on Castle/Conundrum, or Wilson. Might give consideration to Maroon or Little Bear with a partner with the right experience.
This has been a difficult year for planning anything with the weather. Sometime over the next 2 weeks might work.

Postby Beagle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:16 pm

tom oconnor wrote:Wow. This makes me feel pretty young at 57 turning 58. But all the other descriptions...slow, steady, safe, definitely fit the bill. Looking for someone to partner up with on Castle/Conundrum, or Wilson. Might give consideration to Maroon or Little Bear with a partner with the right experience.
This has been a difficult year for planning anything with the weather. Sometime over the next 2 weeks might work.

Okay youngster, I guess you can jump in here. :-D I'd be game for something any time after the 25 of September….if it ever stops raining.

PreviousNext