Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

"Old Guy' 67 looking for Old Guy partners again

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

"Old Guy' 67 looking for Old Guy partners again

Postby dcarpentgina » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:47 am

I'm planning climbs of pairs of mountains for three weekends in the near future (weather permitting)

Dates: 09/20-09/21, 09/27-09/28, 10/04-10/05 (Friday and Saturday)

The pairs of mountains: Ellingwood Point and Blanca, Castle and Conumdrum, Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn.

Driver there Friday camp at the car , get Saturday and do the pair, dirve back. The order isn't set up yet.

I've got a stock Jeep, so we can travel a ways up the old roads.

Any old guys interested please contact me:

Update: I 'dinged' my knee in a 1/2 marathon trail run 2 weeks ago and it's still a problem. But, if it gets better by next week I hope to do something Friday and Saturday of the next two weekends. 09/27-09/28 and 10/04-10/05. The same pairs of mountains Blanca,Ellingwood Point Uncompahger and Wetterhorn and Castle and Connundrum.
Last edited by dcarpentgina on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: "Old Guy' 67 looking for Old Guy partners again

Postby Flips » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:21 am

I'm interested in Castle-Conumdrum. We look well matched on profile, except you've done more repeats.

Postby Beagle » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:50 am

I could do that middle weekend, 9/27-9/28

Here's to "old(er)" guys!
This is my religion. This is my church. These are my cathedrals.

"Summiting is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter Thompson

Postby 1st14erAt50 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:19 pm

It's nice to know there are other "geezers" doing this stuff. I still love it at 61 but I climb on week days.
Milt Peterson
Pueblo West, Colorado
719 547 0554

Postby Beagle » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Milt, I'm good for week days as well

Postby powhound » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 pm

One of my good climbing buddies just turned 70 yesterday...and he is still climbing stuff that is way out of my league and is a true inspiration.
581[1].jpg
581[1].jpg (51.99 KiB) Viewed 450 times

Postby GeezerClimber » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:42 pm

1st14erAt50 wrote:It's nice to know there are other "geezers" doing this stuff. I still love it at 61 but I climb on week days.

I climb weekdays mostly but you might be too young. I'm 62.

Dave

PS: Today is the 30th anniversary of my 1st and 2nd 14er (Lincoln and Bross). Hard to believe people actually climbed before cell phones and the web.

Postby Beagle » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:48 pm

PS: Today is the 30th anniversary of my 1st and 2nd 14er (Lincoln and Bross). Hard to believe people actually climbed before cell phones and the web.

Props Dave! Yeah, you're a whole year older than I but I'm bearing down on 62 meself.

One of my good climbing buddies just turned 70 yesterday...and he is still climbing stuff that is way out of my league and is a true inspiration.

My inspiration doesn't climb anymore but he is only about 9 segments shy of finishing up the Colorado Trail…..77 years young and we run together a couple times a week.

Postby pudgy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Another 'old geezer' (66) checking in..I want to do Holy Cross, midweek, early October I'll stay in touch...

Postby Doug Shaw » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:31 pm

GeezerClimber wrote:Hard to believe people actually climbed before cell phones and the web.

Spend some time on this site and you'll find it hard to believe people climb since them.

Postby flyingmagpie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:19 am

Another "old guy" here. Took a Wilderness First Responder Class from NOLS at CSU a few years back, and was surprised to find three or four other "old guys" in the class. We all bonded quickly and kind of stuck together. I'm 63 going on 64 in November. Working on the Centennials now, but this year I repeated Little Bear (in dense fog with slick rock) and repeated also the 15 mile round-trip Challenger/Carson standard route to help out and buddy up with a climbing partner who had helped me finish the 14ers. You are only as old as you feel, and let yourself be. To quote Dylan Thomas: "Rage, rage against the dying of the light!"
"I've found the truest paths always lead through mountains." Kate Wolf, "An Unfinished Life"

Postby alsrun » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:35 am

I can't believe how easy it is to get sucked into this thread. Congrats "flyingmagpie" on finishing. I still have Chicago Basin, the Bells, Pyramid, Mt. Wilson, Longs and Culebra left to do. I am 73 and had a big summer planned but with all this rain all I got in was Capitol and LB. I tried for N. Maroon but turned around below the first gully when I saw the clouds rolling in. I usually climb alone but wouldn't mind company on the remaining 14ers. I also would like to do Mt. Wilson from Kilpacker Basin. My usual MO is to hike in and set up camp on day 1; climb on day 2 and return to camp; then hike out on day3. If this fits into anyone's plans, let me know.

Next